Emotional while listening...

Posted: 6/13/2017 2:06:28 AM
shadmock

Whoa! coalport- Even though this is Theremin World, I saw an email in my inbox & was very surprised to see you had replied- I was not expecting a reply from the very person I saw in that video! This helped me in knowing I made a good decision posting a very personal moment-I was hesitant, however. The video shows some of the interior of the Hoffman- I believe it's when the camera is panning over the tube chassis-that's when I lost it & bawled. I think some of the textures and blemishes are what hit me as to the history of that divine instrument. The music was definitely a catalyst to that reaction. I can tell "It has seen some sh*#t" as they say. Amazing....thank you for your response-it has made my week!

Posted: 10/12/2017 10:26:16 PM
dewster

While on vacation last month we hit every used book and thrift store we ran across in and around Hendersonville, NC.  Music CDs seem to be hitting the recycling stream, going for 50 cents or a dollar, so it's fairly painless to take chances on artists and bands one doesn't have any knowledge of.  Some duds, but many are quite good.  

The most interesting one is "Back to the Earth" an obscure 2001 CD by a band named Nylon.  No, this isn't the Icelandic girl group, but a male female duo where the dude is credited with everything, and the woman is credited with lyrics and vocals, and someone else does the drumming - you won't find anything about the band on the internet, and I could only come up with a few hits on the dude.  The liner and CD printing was clearly done on an inkjet, and the CD is a CDR.  The CD is damaged so the first song has a lot of "chuffing" dropout going on, but fortunately the rest of the songs are in good shape.  Other than background, I don't hear any evidence of the woman singing anywhere, unless her voice is placed so low it sounds male?  The songs are a little bitter, poppy, quite varied, and addictive - I've listened to it dozens of times now.  A couple songs seem oddly familiar, like old classics (but they obviously aren't), the last song sounds rather like Crowded House.  I really like the guitar work and the overall production.  Gobs of work goes into this sort of thing, sad to see it fading into obscurity before it even had a chance.

Picked up Laura Allan's 1996 CD "Hold on to your Dreams" which is pretty good, here and there you'd swear you're listening to Shawn Colvin.  This made me buy her 1999 CD "Telegraph" used off Amazon, and it's even stronger, with a strong early Cheryl Crow vibe.  The web tells me Laura fell off a roof and screwed up her arm which took years of therapy, and she's tragically since passed (cancer).  Life is crazy.

Found "Are You Earthed" and "Six Modular Pieces" CDs (both 2000) by the band Appliance.  Interesting repetitive guitar / bass / drums / synth / vocal work.  So I also snagged 1999 "Manual" and 2001 "Imperial Metric" used off Amazon, they're nice too.  I believe the band is now defunct.

Posted: 10/18/2017 6:08:46 PM
dewster

Particularly appropriate for TW:

Posted: 10/19/2017 12:47:16 AM
senior_falcon

Symphony No. 3 by Henryck Gorecki sends chills down my spine, especially when Dawn Upshaw is singing.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8dWoxcpCpg

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.