DIY calculator: HP30b to WP34S!

Posted: 2/25/2018 9:10:48 PM
dewster

Eamoex, here's a page out of my engineering notebook from back then:

Is that clear?  If not I can translate it from the Klingon... ;-)

The process is fairly nuanced!  Wow, over 4 years ago...  Unfortunately I don't use the calculator much anymore because the keys are so unreliable, and am sadly calculator-less.  I find myself using a really old (Win 3.1? Win 95?) Symantec "SCICALC.EXE"; also the the WinXP calculator because it does HEX (but the infix notation constantly trips me up).  Tried the various free ones on my Kindle Fire 7 and didn't cotton to any, it seems I'll be forced to make my own calculator at some point.  I don't really even need programmability, just solid scientific functions and an easy to use HEX mode.  The WP34S is way overkill for me.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your take on your final result.  Good luck!

Posted: 2/26/2018 7:26:11 PM
Eamoex

"Eamoex, here's a page out of my engineering notebook from back then: Is that clear? If not I can translate it from the Klingon..."

laughing Haha! I didn't expect the full graphics. So these are your notes? Wow, very tidy, and with a nice hand, thank you very much! Not even mentioning your ability to find the thing 5 years later…

So yeah, I think it's pretty clear now. Thanks so much for helping.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted: 3/1/2018 12:57:30 PM
Thierry

"I think you should check out this new great RPN calculator: https://www.swissmicros.com/dm42.php"

Checked out. Thank you, Martinot, for that finding. Now saving my pocket money for it... ;-) 

Posted: 3/15/2018 1:33:08 AM
John Dick

Nice, it feels good to see one of these things. ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.