Just Beginning Playing

Posted: 12/9/2007 7:43:06 PM
thetamin

I'm relatively new to the Theremin. I just got a B3 about a week ago, and have played it quite a bit. I'm interested in actually playing it as a musical instrument. Already, I have downloaded a copy of Rockmore's "Method for Theremin," and it's very helpful. I made recordings of some of the etudes played on the piano, and try to play along with them on the Theremin. I've also found it quite easy to find pitches when playing along with actual music (like Pink Floyd, the Beatles, and Christmas music), although I don't necessarily know what note names those pitches have.

In general, is the right route to go? I plan to get Eyck's "The Art of Playing the Theremin" as well, so I can have lots of practice material. What early practice techniques do other people have?
Posted: 12/11/2007 10:51:07 PM
Matts

Welcome!!! I think the fact that you are using the Clara rockmore book is great!!! I am not an exert, but I practice her etudes everyday. I think it is the best wat to learn. One thing I have been doing is plugging in the theremin to a tuner so I know that my notes/intervales are correct. If you miss one note by a few cents in can throw your whole piece off.

I practice this way with the Roxkmore book, and with scales, arps, and modes. This is helping me train my ear more, and heling me get a physical reference to the notes. Also make sure you tune your theremin everyday and let it warm up! This is very helpful and adds consistancy. I have only been playing a couple months, but this has helpedme out so much.
Posted: 12/12/2007 6:59:39 PM
thetamin

Thanks for your insight. I have tried using a tuner, but it is one of those weird 'strobe' tuners. (i.e. LCD bars move upward if you are sharp and downwards if you are flat). I think I'll buy a simple needle tuner, because my current one is somewhat hard to follow.

I find it somewhat easy, though, to find the pitches by ear, using a recording of myself playing the etudes as a basis.

Also, does anyone know anything about Carolina Eyck's 'The Art of Playing the Theremin'?
Posted: 12/13/2007 2:54:39 AM
Alan_in_CA

I have a copy, and for me it is not very useful. If you can sight read music and have a good grounding in conventional Western musical theory, it might be worthwhile. Another thing: she uses the 9+ position aerial fingering method of Lydia Kavina, rather than the five-position method (e.g.: Clara Rockmore, Pamelia Kurstin).

If you can read Spanish, Victor Estrada's free online method book (only the first volume is so far available) is definitely worthwhile. He has a nice summary of several different styles of play.
Posted: 12/13/2007 1:03:26 PM
thetamin

Unfortunately, I don't understand Spanish. However, I can read sheet music, as I play both the clarinet and the piano. Clara Rockmore's book is great, but it seems so short. I was just looking into getting as much technique theory as possible. Would Eyck's method contradict Rockmore's, as it uses more finger positions?
Posted: 12/15/2007 1:30:37 PM
Alan_in_CA

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the exercises could be performed using either or any method, but the notation would be different. Peter Pringle's method is unlike the others, because he uses a particular method of moving the whole body, as I understand it. Even if you don't understand Spanish, if you understand written music you might profit from Victor Estrada's exercises--and the price is right.
Posted: 12/17/2007 2:33:27 AM
TomFarrell

Peter Pringle's method differs from Clara Rockmore's method in that Peter uses a particular way of standing so that you can smoothly rock the whole body back and forth in relation to the antenna, while Clara would take tiny steps toward and away from the instrument while she played.

Stepping around as Clara did has to be done very quickly and precisely to ensure you know where your pitches are, but then, quick and precise are part of what made Clara great. Peter's motion can be done more smoothly, so you can choose to move the entire body and keep the arm steady if you like, and he can easily find his pitches because he uses a pitch preview.
Posted: 12/17/2007 1:04:50 PM
Alan_in_CA

Thanks for the more informed description, Tom.
Posted: 12/17/2007 4:10:13 PM
thetamin

Yes, this is all very interesting. Thank you for your responses.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.