got my theremin and love it, plus review of Roland cube street amp.

Posted: 9/15/2011 1:28:37 PM
5h1v4Fr34k

I got my theremin a couple days ago and have been enjoying it a lot. It beats the three radios as I now have volume control and it stays in tune. I am defintely a natural at this, it doesn't take me much practice on a song before I get it perfect, I have played guitar, keys(piano, synth, harmonium), and bass and none of them came as easily as the theremin. I seriously beleve in the fact that you don't choose your instruments, they choose you and you know when you found the rite one. I discovered the theremin about a year and a half ago and just fell in love with the sound, the energy, somehow I just knew it was my instrument. Now I have a B3 deluxe and a roland cube street amplifier. Sounds very good. I tried the moog amp, I wasn't impressed. My amp is only 5w of power, 2.5 per speaker on 2 6.5" speakers... and well how is it possible for 5 measly lil flea watts to be THAT LOUD, this thing will blow your ears off. My feance helped me to get my theremin and I just can't put into words how much I appreceate that and how happy I am to have found my intrument.

I see a lot on here about the roland micro cube, I haven't tried that one but I can surely say the cube street is a HUGE upgrade, it gets very loud and dosnt fart out on the low notes. The battery life is FANTASTIC! I have been running on the same set of ni-mh rechargables for 3 days now all day playing theremin and I use the amp as a boombox too, the speakers on it sound sooo good using the mp3 input, I hear things in my music that I never knew was there. Out of the box it don't sound that good at first, but after the speakers broke in this is better sound than my stereo(without all that loud abnoxious booming bass). The on board effects and amp sim is quite good, especially the delays and reverb. The overdrive(r-fier setting on the amp sim) sounds interesting on a theremin, sounds almost like a violin thru a fuzz box. I prefer the clean sound though(inst or jc-clean setting), was messing around with the settings yesterday and wanted to see what a lil or a lot of overdrive did to the sound of theremin. The sound with my theremin and music on this amp is full, warm, lively and not harsh, it a tube like sound from a solid state amp. Only class-D ss amps have that sound. I have seen a lot on here about people looking for a good amp for there theremin so I figured my lil review here of my amp would help somebody.
Posted: 9/15/2011 3:57:19 PM
Amethyste

I am glad that you love your theremin and that you are already perfect at it after a short while playing it...

Don't hold us up on the joy of seeing this! Please post a video of your playing :)
Posted: 9/15/2011 5:34:50 PM
Thierry

You seem to be a natural talent... at least with your own words. Now let follow the deeds and share a video on youtube. There is a collection of beautiful Ragtimes from Scott Joplin - ideal pieces for the ambitious player to demonstrate his talent!
Posted: 9/15/2011 5:48:47 PM
RS Theremin

“Somewhere in deep meditation”

You said:

[i]"It beats the three radios as I now have volume control and it stays in tune. I am defintely a natural at this, it doesn't take me much practice on a song before I get it perfect"[/i]

I do believe we are going to get along; it is not often a prodigy comes along.

Now about the three radios, do you use these for meditation next to the three seashells?

I enjoy your enthusiasm!

Posted: 9/15/2011 7:23:24 PM
coalport

Let's not forget our friend Joe Theremin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi69hDPupGs)

He was a great concert thereminist in the theater of his own mind!
Posted: 9/15/2011 8:44:35 PM
5h1v4Fr34k

I will do some videos soon, I'm not quite ready for that yet, as it is now, I'm pitch perfect but my coordnation is a lil off with my volume hand, I'm not used to the left hand thing just yet so that needs a lil bit of work and I need to work on my vibrato. So far most songs I have tried, I did very well on the first go. Some I am very good at but I don't know if anybody in here likes kirtan and hindu religious music so I will have to learn some new music first. And about the three radios, I seen instructions on how to hack a radio into a theremin a while back so I did the hack and got a feel for theremin pitch control. Were also in the process of looking for a new apartment or house to rent so I probably wont be doing anything with video until we get settled and I can do it rite, I wont use a cellphone cam for video, the quality is too bad. I have more respect for music than that awful 8k sampled codec and cheap mic in a phone. I'm just in shock realy, I knew id be pretty good, but not that good. Pitch good, volume OK, vibrato Ok, I only had my theremin for 3 days so I'm getting used to the dual antennas still.
Posted: 9/15/2011 10:35:55 PM
RS Theremin

Why does everything have to be a video these days, when I was a kid all we had was one radio with tubes. (-‘ I would enjoy a recorded theremin .mp3 of Sikh devotional music.

The volume antenna control will become natural quicker than you might imagine. Is it possible your music sounds so good to you because of that ear infection you had?

Posted: 9/16/2011 12:00:11 AM
5h1v4Fr34k

I'm over that ear infection.. thank the Gods for that. It was awful, painful and just miserable. It was in my mastoid bones behind my ears. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Any worse and they woulda had to cut out my mastoid bones. Antibiotics barely helped so I used herbal medicine and took a lot of vitamins, busted that infection in 2 days!

Ill do some recordings when I get moved, most of my equipment is packed rite now. Were taking on a couple of roommates too so things have been a little hectic around here, at least I can do some work now insted of being sick with mastoiditis :p.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.