Lighting up the diamond speaker! :)

Posted: 4/18/2012 11:35:14 AM
invisiblejelly

Very Nice Thomas a 'steamer trunk corner' for a 'steam punk' effect.

Posted: 4/18/2012 1:56:56 PM
Thomas Grillo

Very Nice Thomas a 'steamer trunk corner' for a 'steam punk' effect.

@invisiblejelly. Yeh, it's pretty cool. I would never have known to use those, but Amethyste knew I was doing this project, and pointed me toward them on ebay. I was schiptical at first, but hey, they work! I'll be using them on future speakers when I build others, albeit not as ornate as this one. :)

Posted: 4/18/2012 4:17:58 PM
Jason

I am really enjoying the design aspect of this thread.  Being such a visual instrument, design has been sorely lacking as a consistent part of the Theremin conversation over the years.  Some will say the Theremin should not distract from the performer, but when the performer is part of the instrument, how can you differentiate and give focus to just one?

Posted: 4/18/2012 5:38:06 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Jason. Hi, My work with the design of the diamond speaker goes back to something Coalport said on his DVD, which dealt with how theremins looked compared with conventional instruments. Also, I've always been of the opinion that in our modern age, we seem to have lost something in our formless, black boxes that are our everyday devices we can't do without.  I've always been drawn to the artistry of things produced in the years up to about the 19th century. Although impractical to carry over to every aspect of our lives, I feel that at the very least, our instruments should carry on the tradition of being as pleasing, and interesting to the eye, as it sounds to our ears. It's all part of the "art" of music. :)

Posted: 4/18/2012 6:46:54 PM
Amethyste

I totally agree with that Thomas. I still remember one person calling me a dumb blonde (obviously I am not even blonde) because I "decorated" my theremin. Still to this day, I am kind of hurt from it... guess this person doesn't really understand "art" in its whole form. Art form is more than what meets the eye :)

Posted: 4/18/2012 8:01:08 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Amethyste New ideas take time to adapt to. Some rejection is to be expected in the field of art regardless of it's form. ;)

Posted: 4/18/2012 8:58:31 PM
Amethyste

Sure I understand your point of view, but you don't have to be insulted in the process. There are things I don't always agree with, but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell someone they are stupid for doing something that is harmless.

Posted: 4/18/2012 9:07:32 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Amethyste Indeed. Some folks just have no tact. By the way, I just finished adding all three of the steamer trunk corners today, and have started working on the cover plate for hiding the pvc 3 way junction with. Should have that done tomorrow. Still have to paint the mast, and floor flange too, and then it'll be 98 percent complete. :)

Posted: 4/20/2012 3:27:40 AM
invisiblejelly

I always wanted to build a theremin in this.. see below, obviously a sit down playing format with a speaker in the disc at the back. The theremin would be in the 'barrel' in the front with volume and pitch antennas etc.

Posted: 4/20/2012 3:33:57 AM
Thomas Grillo

@ Invisiblejelly Yes! That would be SOOooo cool! That was one of my favorite movies, by the way. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.