Let's Design and Build a (mostly) Digital Theremin!

Posted: 6/1/2020 2:06:16 AM
dewster

"It is too bad we had a conflict of personalities."  - oltemecula

You hounding me (and FredM) for years was partly my fault?  GTFO.

"I had  no conflict with Fred"

You treated him like crap, constantly goading him on.  You're one of the reasons he left TW.

If you have a shred of decency left in you stop posting in this thread.

Posted: 6/1/2020 2:57:32 PM
gerd

Hello Dewster,

here is a PDF extract of this thread:

D-Lev_Theremin.pdf

gerd

Posted: 6/1/2020 5:28:06 PM
pitts8rh

Gerd: 

I just stepped in here and was wondering what did you used to extract this pdf?  I'm trying to move some things off TW and whatever you did is a whole lot better than my method.  Thanks

Posted: 6/1/2020 5:32:21 PM
JPascal

I am also interested in the method to do such an archiv, Gerd. 

Posted: 6/1/2020 7:57:57 PM
dewster

"here is a PDF extract of this thread"  - gerd

Wow, that's really nice, thanks!  I too would like to know how you did that.

Holy smoke, the index links work and everything!  Fantastic!

Posted: 6/1/2020 9:14:02 PM
DreadVox

My suggestion would be, when not afraid of commandline programs, to use GNU wget
Its features include recursive download, conversion of links for offline viewing of local HTML, and support for proxies.
Wget has been ported to Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, OpenVMS, HP-UX, MorphOS and AmigaOS. Since version 1.14 Wget has been able to save its output in the web archiving standard WARC format.

Posted: 6/2/2020 6:23:46 PM
dewster

"My suggestion would be, when not afraid of commandline programs, to use GNU wget"  -- DreadVox

Thanks, I forgot about that.  Used it once on WinXP to snag a bunch of crosswords.

Also: gerd started a new thread re. his nifty Java TW thread archiver: http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/33164?post=218169#218169

Posted: 6/3/2020 3:53:23 AM
dewster

Aura Lee (Undead Remix)

This voice reminds me of that "Morgan!" zombie in the 1964 "The Last Man on Earth": [MP3].

Posted: 6/3/2020 7:10:01 PM
tinkeringdude

And then he started to sing: guess who's back... 

Heh. I watched that movie within the past 6 months or so. Sometimes I remember "hey, let's check the box of another old movie that (a lot of people think) one should have seen", randomly look stuff up at imdb, and especially if it's in the list of someone who has other things in it that I liked, ...
I recall that there was a "Mooorgaaan" groan, but not the timbre details.

It does sound like there was some larger body of something around it. Perhaps that of a stringed instrument, which wouldn't seem inappropriate for a more classical Theremin voice.
There are fractions of a second in there, when the pitch changes, that it kinda sounds like a low trombone sweeping pitch. Maybe something more deliberate in that category could be achieved  I now remember that little Moog Resonator box and a demo with enhanced brass sounds, among other things, roughly at 02:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XUiJi5153Y

Ok, sidetrack alert, damn YT sidebar then reminded me of this guy, playing in a church, a, well, church organ, and - Minimoog, what else? I like that combo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHaO1bF8Ng

Posted: 6/4/2020 2:48:30 AM
dewster

"I watched that movie within the past 6 months or so."  - tinkeringdude

It's one of my faves, and somewhat timely, unfortunately.  The main character has a pretty grim life, and it's portrayed practically.  I read the story recently (Richard Matheson, I can't recommend him) and the movie left out a fairly strong sexual element, where a female zombie would show up regularly hiking up her skirt and taunting him.  It was remade as The Omega Man in 1971 (inferior, IMO).

"It does sound like there was some larger body of something around it. Perhaps that of a stringed instrument, which wouldn't seem inappropriate for a more classical Theremin voice."

Here's the preset:

I don't know exactly where it came from (presets are in a jumbled state and I'm working on cleaning them up) but all 8 formants are used, which I'm pretty sure I've never done for a human vocal - even my cello only uses 6!  But that many resonances could signal something like a stringed instrument to our hearing mechanism.

"I now remember that little Moog Resonator box and a demo with enhanced brass sounds, among other things, roughly at 02:50:"

Nice video!  It clearly demonstrates human vocals with 3 resonances.  And simple horns are basically a single resonance.

Ok, sidetrack alert, damn YT sidebar then reminded me of this guy, playing in a church, a, well, church organ, and - Minimoog, what else?

I love how he gets guitar face when playing the Moog (no disrespect, he's great).

[EDIT] Ha!  It's my bassoon patch.  Weird.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.