Alternating Knuckle Extension Method

Posted: 3/7/2013 8:11:05 PM
coalport

Beginners are rarely in a position to know what technique is "best" for them but you can't tell them that or they go ballistic. It's like the guy who is teaching himself to type. Don't tell him that typing with his two index fingers isn't a good idea.

For the first few weeks of his typing career he will leave all those poor souls who are learning touch typing with ten fingers in the dust! The chances are, he will continue to type that way for the rest of his typing life, but he will never make 300 words a minute (and he will always have to watch his hands).

.....so long good ole Stompin' Tom.......

Posted: 3/7/2013 10:49:11 PM
roguewave

I am not going ballistic, I am just commenting on the fact that there might be other ways to play. I am sure when Clara and others developed their own techniques there was someone to tell them they were wrong :-)

Well I hope Stompin' Tom is having the time of his (after) life wherever he is now.

Posted: 3/8/2013 11:54:28 AM
coalport

It is true, there is no established, universally accepted way to play the theremin. People generally regard this as a good thing, and confidently proceed to play the instrument in the way that seems best for themselves. No one would do this with a traditional instrument, like the violin or the oboe, but it is pretty much how everyone approaches the theremin. 

If it were possible to make a living strictly as a professional thereminist, am estsblished technique for playing the instrument would likely have been developed long ago, and children would be brought up playing in a certain prescribed way. 

As it is, there ain't never been no such animal as a "professional thereminist" and those who come to the instrument come as adults, with all their own preconceptions and ideas about how to play. If they have experience with other instruments, they will inevitably attempt to apply what they know to the theremin. This is to be expected because most thereminists are alone, learning in a bubble. 

When Clara Rockmore began to study the theremin seriously (right after her career as a violinist abruptly ended) Lev Termen offered to build her a theremin whose pitch antenna was on the left side of the instrument, and volume on the right. This was because violinists control pitch with their left (fingerboard) hands. Clara decided against this, and proceeded to learn to play pitch with her right hand.

"I think it would be wonderful if everyone could play the theremin as well as I do, BUT THEY DON'T. I know that sounds arrogant."  Clara Rockmore, the 'Gift Tape' interviews.

Posted: 3/8/2013 12:05:30 PM
Amethyste

Clara Rockmore said: 

"I think it would be wonderful if everyone could play the theremin as well as I do, BUT THEY DON'T. I know that sounds arrogant."  Clara Rockmore, the 'Gift Tape' interviews.

... And I am glad no one actually plays the theremin like you, cause it gets on my nerves real fast :) I know that sounds arrogant.

Posted: 3/8/2013 5:37:21 PM
coalport

I find all theremin playing gets on my nerves after only a few minutes (including....or perhaps I should say ESPECIALLY.... my own)!

Posted: 3/8/2013 8:45:08 PM
Amethyste

Coalport ~

So... If your own or others get on your nerves after only a few minutes, why are you playing this instrument? Were you more addicted to the whole process or journey than the actual result?

Masochism?

Enlighten me! 

Posted: 3/8/2013 10:34:33 PM
roguewave

“In the end we shall have had enough of cynicism, skepticism and humbug, and we shall want to live more musically.”

― Vincent van Gogh

Posted: 3/9/2013 12:29:01 AM
coalport

Amey asked:  So... If your own or others get on your nerves after only a few minutes, why are you playing this instrument? Were you more addicted to the whole process or journey than the actual result?

Amey, that is quite possible. As I look at my life, and the patterns it reveals, I seem to have a very low boredom threshold. I get tired of things very quickly and want to move on to something else. What can I tellya?!

I also prefer the company of animals to that of human beenz. Animals are always in the "now" and are never thinking about what might happen tomorrow, or regretting what did not happen yesterday.

Posted: 3/9/2013 9:08:21 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Ouch!

Some of the things said above ring a little too true for comfort!

"Animals are always in the "now" and are never thinking about what might happen tomorrow, or regretting what did not happen yesterday." - Coalport.

I think perhaps children (particularly lucky ones who have not been forced into early ill influences) share this quality.. (with the exception that happy / lucky children are always thinking about what might happen tomorrow, with positive expectation and joy)

I suspect that by the time most of us reach adulthood, we are probably beyond hope! :-(

"As I look at my life, and the patterns it reveals, I seem to have a very low boredom threshold. I get tired of things very quickly and want to move on to something else. What can I tellya?! " - Coalport

I am really interested in the above - To me, as a complete outsider to your head, none of what you say seems bourn up by what you do.. You have persevered and stuck with the theremin for years - doesnt come across like someone who "I get tired of things very quickly and want to move on to something else" But I believe you... In a way, I wonder if "low boredom threshold" actually drives some people to go far deeper into something "boring" than they might do if they didnt have a low boredom threshold !?

Fred.

Posted: 3/11/2013 1:53:56 AM
roguewave

Looks like a "been there, done that" pattern, where a person is constantly interested in learning new things, and once the subject has been explored, he/she wants to get to something else. I wouldn't call it "boredom", just a butterfly mind!

I am still not finish with my list of things to do before I die :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.