Technical Difficulties

Posted: 12/26/2013 1:25:17 AM
RePO

Hello,

Just received a new B3 Deluxe Theremin. However, I plugged in the power supply into a power tree. Next I put an adapter into the output so I may hear the voice through ear phones. I turn the left knob and hear something of a tone which seems like sound output is available. However, nothing like an Ooh, Aah, Waah voice typical for Theremins. I tried typical speakers, still same tone.... 

At this point, I'm wondering if an Amp is the only way to get sound. But could it also be the Theremin itself??? I hope I'm not nuking this. >.>

Peace,

RePO

Posted: 12/26/2013 1:47:10 AM
bisem

RePO,

Don't worry there probably isn't anything wrong with your theremin.  One of my theremins is a B3 Pro which is essentially the same instrument in a fancier case.  

You will need a decent amplifier to get the sound you want and many of the experts on here can explain why that is.  I imagine the earphones sounded like a bee buzzing in your ears and speakers without an amplifier will now work either.

Here is a thread on here to at least get you started: http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27060/best-amplifier  I do know that keyboard amps are a good choice.  My first amplifier was a Marshall AS50D and I still use it for recording theremin tracks.

Good luck and I am sure others will chime in on your question.  

Brian ;^) 

Posted: 12/26/2013 6:29:11 AM
Jason

+1 for a keyboard amp.  I use something like the Roland KC 150 (though mine is an older model).  It has multiple inputs and sounds great.  You might try taking it down to a music store to plug it into some amps to make sure the theremin is working well and to see which amp you like best.  If it's not working correctly, you can contact Dan Burns at http://www.soundslikeburns.com for help.

Posted: 12/26/2013 3:39:37 PM
RePO

Sounds like a plan. Thank you both for the help! ^_^ Today I'm off to Guitar Center for an amp. I'll post my findings soon. 

Posted: 12/27/2013 12:24:05 AM
RePO

Today: Purchased a Guitar amp for Tess (I named my Theremin Tess, it's testing my nerves) and still a Amp hum sound. Well, went to Guitar Center with Tess and tried nearly every amp and still a hum... WTH!? Is it the Theremin at this point? I can't control volume and pitch with this thing... :/

Posted: 12/27/2013 5:58:42 AM
Chobbs

'...tried nearly every amp and still a hum... WTH!?'

You might have a ground loop- grounded through the theremin power supply and though the amp via instrument cable.  That can cause some nasty unwanted noises and behavior.  Go to the hardware store (or dig thru your junk drawer at home)  and find yourself a ground-lift ac adapter- They're are like $1....usually grey or orange-  Looks like electric plug without a wire.  It allows one to plug a 3 prong cable into a 2 prong outlet, or in your case, it will remove the ground connection on one of the AC powered links in the signal chain.  You can put it on either the amp or the theremin.   A very handy thing I always keep in my gig bag.

Posted: 12/27/2013 11:45:14 AM
Thierry

If not, the Theremin might have a problem itself. Why don't you just call Dan or Kathy Burns? They are always kind and ready to help.

Posted: 12/28/2013 12:18:43 AM
bisem

I agree with Thierry....I accidentally broke the telescoping antenna off my B3 Pro last year and Dan Burns promptly sent me a new one at no charge.  He definitely wants his customers to be satisfied! 

Posted: 12/28/2013 1:58:13 PM
RePO

And so I went to Home Depot for the plug in adapter. I bought two on the off chance it wasn't the Theremin or it was both Amp and Theremin not agreeing. However, it seemed to not have a change at all... >_> Well, I went ahead and did what Mr. Bisem did... I got ahold of Mr. Burns and he told me to simply put a note in the box about what's wrong with the instrument. It should arrive to him Monday.

Meanwhile I've been playing my Violin (Julia). When I get around to recording the Theremins voice I would like to combine or layer and weave through Violin and Theremin. ^_^

Thank you guys for your help and I'll post again if and when I get the new Theremin. ^_^

Posted: 12/28/2013 5:12:00 PM
Amethyste

oh no :( it is too bad you had to send it back, but it will be back to you in no time and you'll be back at playing real fast! Hopefully it is something minor...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.