Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 7/11/2021 4:09:56 PM
tcordara

Another update on Clarabox Serial 0029: 

Despite the troubleshooting, the theremin has stopped working again.  Looks like it's going to be sent back

Looks great on the stand! Such a shame that it doesn't work reliably. 

Posted: 7/17/2021 1:12:12 PM
tcordara

Update:

MOOG is shipping a replacement - serial number 0034. I was instructed to keep the antennas I have as they can’t replace those due to a brass shortage. That is a major cause of the delay.

I’ll update here after I receive the new unit.

Posted: 7/18/2021 8:28:02 PM
ContraDude

Update:MOOG is shipping a replacement - serial number 0034. I was instructed to keep the antennas I have as they can’t replace those due to a brass shortage. That is a major cause of the delay.I’ll update here after I receive the new unit.

Moog should have allowed you to keep the same serial number although the fact that they’re sending you another with a serial number only slightly higher than your current one doesn’t bode well for the rest of us. 

Hmmm . . . so they’ve finally provided a little information on one of their supply shortages - brass (presumably related to a cooper shortage).

I would expect that Moog is also paying the return shipping costs for the defective instrument.

Posted: 7/19/2021 1:19:30 AM
Devinup

Long time lurker. First time poster.

I received an email from a sales rep where I ordered my Claravox. I've reached out to them before but this is the first time they've reached out to me. This was from four days ago but it might give others a rough idea of what to expect.

"We recently got an update from Moog and I wanted to keep you in the loop. They say it will likely be sometime in September when more Claravox will be delivered. As always, I will keep you updated as we move forward. Please let me know if you have any questions while we wait."

Posted: 7/19/2021 4:30:39 AM
Flounderguts

That is inline with the info I received in May.

The copper "shortage" which is leading to lack of brass is an interesting story. Copper prices have risen globally almost 30%...and due to a complicated tariff situation involving aluminum and cobalt, the overseas companies that make brass alloys are unable to afford or obtain the copper produced in the USA (I happen to live under the shadow of a very large active smelter)...of which there is currently a *surplus* ...due to the automotive slowdown (semiconductors)...as auto companies in the US are the single largest client for US copper. Which leaves under-invested deposits in Peru and Chile to prop up the demand while Australia is struggling to grow Olympic Dam.

Yeah, I know this is all trivial, and I'm out in the weeds...BUT...Aviva and Interstate are both large, US based copper alloy manufacturers...I have no idea what the spec on Claravox parts are, but when I checked stocks on likely sized tubing, lead times were like 150 days. Why? I'm just going to guess, but we had an ammunition shortage in February...my guess is that a frenzy of ammo manufacturing to stockpile has tied up tubing stocks (rod is available immediately) for the forseeable future. 

Good thing we aren't waiting for tubas.

Posted: 7/19/2021 10:03:13 AM
Guillaume

I'd very much like a t-shirt with this on the front. Out of context, it is an extraordinary line.

Edit: t-shirt design, the best 2021 Christmas stockings present!
https://ibb.co/wrf1vzD

Posted: 7/19/2021 5:02:46 PM
ContraDude

Hmmmm . . . doesn't look like there are any tuba shortages or, for that matter, any shortages of brass musical instruments.

LOTS of tubas!

Posted: 7/21/2021 4:34:30 PM
bendra

That is inline with the info I received in May.The copper "shortage" which is leading to lack of brass is an interesting story. Copper prices have risen globally almost 30%...

Maybe we can all donate the pennies from the tops of our dressers so they can melt them down and fashion antennae out of them?

Posted: 7/30/2021 2:08:55 PM
EricK

Friends,
I just thought that it was worth mentioning here that Moog (Asheville) has been through a lot of changes over the 20ish years that I've been buying their products. I'm in Arkansas, so everything that I've purchased from them has been sight-unseen. I was one of the folks who pre-ordered the Taurus III bass pedals and it experienced delays of a few months back in 2009-10.  Everything is going to be fine with the Claravox, just be patient. 

Two things should make you very pleased:
1) You will receive an excellently-crafted professional-quality instrument.
2) You will watch the aftermarket prices increase once the unit is discontinued. 

So think positive everyone!

Respectfully,
Eric

Posted: 7/31/2021 4:30:41 PM
tcordara

I’m happy to write that serial no. 0034 is working!! Has been for a week now.

Definitely some quirky things with this instrument, but I am going to call it my Bass Theremin. The bass is FAT, and a honestly, amazing.

Versus the e-pro, where the pitch and volume increase together, as the pitch gets higher on the Claravox, I find myself raising my hand higher above the loop to increase the volume, where on the e-pro, it’s the opposite.

Anyway, having fun with it and am excited for everyone else to receive theirs!

@tom_nomnom on Instagram if you want to message me any questions/hear samples etc.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.