Moog Claravox Centennial vs Moog Etherwave?

Posted: 10/20/2022 4:36:19 AM
soundwaves

Hi there.  Great forum. 

I am new to Theremins, having never owned or played one.  I love the dual functionality of the Moog Claravox Centennial, but apparently some of them have volume issues, among other problems.  Is this a common issue?  Are the Claravox Centennials considered to be excellent, generally speaking, or are they besieged by problems?

I could get an Etherwave, as I have not heard anything bad about them, but I would lose the digital functionality and midi/usb control.  I mainly want the Theremin to use as a synth controller.  Would it be better to get the Etherwave for reliability and use the CV pitch out to control the oscillators on an analog synth?  Doe the Etherwave offer the player as much fine control as the Claravox?  Which one is a better instrument, in your opinion?  Maybe the complaints I noticed about the Claravox were from a few people who got bad instruments, whilst many people got excellent instruments and didn't feel the need to mention how good they were? 

What do all of you think?  

Thanks for any replies.  Cheers.

Posted: 10/20/2022 4:43:41 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I love my Claravox.  I also love my etherwaveplus.  There are things you can do with the Claravox that are amazing but it can be a bit quirky.  It has an excellent analog side.  I know many early Claravox owners received defective model.  From what I understand most have resolved their problems,  I know Dewster helped some fix their issues.  On the modern mode the sounds are amazing and ability to change registers is really cool.  The editor really opens up some interesting sounds.  They are twice as expensive.  You will like your theremin whichever you chose.  If midi is important choose  the Claravox.  Both have Amazing sound and you will get hooked on Theremin.  Good luck and enjoy.
It’s really fun.

Posted: 10/20/2022 4:47:40 PM
soundwaves

Thanks, Yngvox.  Would the CV pitch control of the Etherwave give me a lot of control over synths?  What would the digital control of the Claravox give me that the CV outs of the Etherwave would not?  I love the idea of added options, but not at the expense of functionality.

Posted: 10/20/2022 5:10:33 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I know some synthesizers don’t do cv, example my Korg Miniloge.  I don’t know much about it.  I don’t know about the new Etherwave but it has been reviewed fairly positively.  The Claravox is Very powerful in sound and if you have the money I recommend it but you can’t go wrong on the etherwave.  Theremins are addictive.  All sound and play different.  You will probably want more than one. But be careful.  
Theremin addiction is almost impossible to break free of.
Have a great day....
Theremin World is a great place to hear many various interesting viewpoints. 
Quite a community spirit.

Posted: 10/20/2022 5:18:14 PM
soundwaves

I wonder if Moog is still making the Claravox, or if they were all made in 2021 and no problems were able to be fixed.  I thought the Claravox was a limited run.  As someone with 24 guitars and 75 pedals, I understand the nature of gear addiction. Haha. Cheers.  

Posted: 10/20/2022 5:25:58 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

We have about 20 guitars too.  Always a guitar player until almost two years ago when I bought my first Theremin.  We have three   Now and have seen a few more I want.  Like a guitar they are all unique.  Sweetwater still has some Claravox I think.
We also have a sitar,banjo,accordion violin, cello.  Many more, flutes, singing bowls, mandolin,etc.

Posted: 10/20/2022 6:48:56 PM
soundwaves

Ah, an obsessive musician, like me!  It's a passion.  

Posted: 10/30/2022 10:02:26 PM
TheTechQ

I have the new Etherwave Theremin and am happy with it. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.