Traveling to Germany with an Etherwave

Posted: 2/9/2012 2:30:42 PM

From: Hillsborough, NC (USA)

Joined: 2/13/2005

Hey folks.  This questions came in through our inbox, so I thought I'd toss it out to the community to answer.

If you have an Etherwave theremin with the typical 3-prong grounded 60Hz/110v power supply and you want to use it in Germany, what do you need to consider?  Will a simple travel adaptor work, or should you purchase a different power supply for the Etherwave?


Posted: 2/9/2012 3:04:47 PM

From: Croxley Green, Hertfordshire, UK

Joined: 10/5/2005

Having helped out several Americans who have had power supply grief in the UK, I strongly recommend buying a European etherwave power supply from Moog.

 A simple travel adaptor will not work. A step down transformer might work but unless you have actually tested it or you are an electronics whizz who understands this stuff it is not guaranteed. Some do, some don't.

(This advice is for Etherwave standards and Etherwave plusses. I believe Etherwave Pros work fine everywhere.)

Posted: 2/13/2012 10:08:45 AM

From: Colmar, France

Joined: 12/31/2007

You may order the European (230V) power supply for the Moog Etherwave Standard and Plus theremins at or (same store, websites in transition...)

The Etherwave Pro has a auto-sensing switched mode power supply and will thus work almost everywhere. You'll just need the fitting power chord which is the same as for most computers.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.