How does a Theremin “antenna” work?

Posted: 6/7/2019 4:35:33 AM
jgdpeng

this is the best explanation I've found for people who don't understand most of the technical stuff:https://youtu.be/KDG15-iTJLw

Thx for the note.  my intention was to produce an explanation that would be understood by most.  for those attempting to design their own theremin, i was hoping that i could create some knowledge that would help in getting things designed correctly and working properly.

Posted: 6/7/2019 5:52:11 PM
dewster

"I agree that this paper has inacuracies in the equations.  it appears they hid some 'Cooks Variable Constants' in their work so that the numbers worked out.  However, they did attempt to create an equation to describe the relationships."  - jgdpeng

They should have been more up-front about how horrible their mutual C equation is.  It's all plausibility and hand waving, and it's total crap for true linearity studies (i.e. if you're looking for a way to mathematically linearize the field).

"The objective of the paper was to prove that the relationship between hand proximity and musical notation is approximately linear and sharping my pencil and correcting errors in the document will only make the result a little more linear, which is only a moot point."

The simple algebraic C between two plates equation is actually pretty close, particularly in the far field.  I think I would use that and work it back through the LC resonance equation.  The linearity differences between a plate and a rod antenna aren't that great, and the hand behaves a lot like a plate.

Posted: 6/7/2019 9:11:17 PM
JPascal

Thank you for sharing your paper about pitch linearity. There is a lot of work you have done well. But the equations from the 1998 paper "Physics of the Theremin" are indeed doubtfully. 

A proper and robust formula for rod antennas please find in my thread "basic experiments". Your result, that beat frequency is nearly linear to the hand capacitance, is a basic fact for all theremins and this is based on the LC oscillator formula itself. The fact, that theremins with a high inductance antenna coil use the lowest oscillator frequency range, I fully agree with. See also my simulations and surrounding math. Your conclusio, that linearity is not given for lowest and highest beat frequencies, is right for the highest beat frequencies. But using a proper offset for nulling you can linearize into the the lower beat frequencies quite well. This can be also find in the thread mentioned. 

I would be very pleased for oscillograms of the pitch control of your valve based theremin. At C18, and "out" with respect to the swiches "old school" and diodes. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.