moog melodia bought

Posted: 3/7/2007 4:48:22 AM
mpampouras

Just bought it for $690.

Do you think its a good price? Its in good shape, but with another antenna. It has a radio-like antenna.

Should i proceed and pay, or its too much? Waiting for your opinions!
Posted: 3/7/2007 5:25:20 AM
Alexander

You buy it off eBay? If so then you're legally bound to pay and can be sued if you decide not to.
Posted: 3/7/2007 5:34:42 AM
Alexander

Well you [i]did[/i] ask that - you said "should I proceed to pay", the answer to which is "you don't have a choice".

I don't know, one mentioned in a TW article where it sold at approximately $500 was regarded as "fair", I think I'd leave a margin of about $200 between "fair" and "expensive" so I think you're probably alright.
Posted: 3/7/2007 10:03:58 AM
omhoge

Rob Schwimmer plays an old Melodia model moog.
It's a very lovely sounding theremin!

Price is relative to the pleasure and music you'll get from it.

If it's in perfect shape it sounds good,
if in fact it has a jury rigged car antenna for the pitch rod I'd pass on it by and keep your hawk eye trained on the bay for an intact one.
hth
Posted: 3/7/2007 12:17:29 PM
Charlie D

You're legally bound to buy it if you've won the bid - but that doesn't mean you have no choice but to buy it. You could enter into correspondence with the vendor, and try to negotiate a call-off (if you offer to pay for his/her overhead fees for the site, and to pay for him/her to relist it on the site). Alternatively, you could just not pay, prepare to face the consequences, and hope that the whole thing blows over. Which it might not.
Posted: 3/7/2007 12:23:18 PM
GordonC

If you don't like it you could sell it on eBay.

Posted: 3/7/2007 12:26:14 PM
mpampouras

Of course i ll take it.
I m just asking though, if 690 dollars is a fair price, or he stole me! Its in pretty good condition, it has another radio type antenna.

Posted: 3/7/2007 12:53:50 PM
omhoge

Looks like the last time this model was mentioned on the front page here

http://www.thereminworld.com/news.asp?s=451

on Jan. 13 2006 the bid at that moment was $460.
No idea what it actually sold at.

eBay confounds me so I don't shop there much but,
On a popular item a winning bid of 690 does not seem that far off to me. It is an auction after all, so other bidders would be the driving force in the price going up not the seller themselves really.

If there was mis-information involved then I would consider that you were ripped off, otherwise it sounds to me as if it was a fair deal within the auction context.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.