RCA Theramin for sale

Posted: 10/22/2007 7:57:10 PM
Tigaman

My RCA is for sale on eBay. Cabinet #473, chassis #100045, with a 106 speaker.

eBay link here: link (http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-Theremin-Vintage-Musical-Instrument_W0QQitemZ200163997569QQihZ010QQ
categoryZ308QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Posted: 10/23/2007 9:43:51 PM
Jason

Thanks very much for posting this. Best of luck with the sale!

I'm just down the road from you in Chapel Hill. Wish I could save you the trouble of shipping it, but alas... owning an RCA is not in the cards for me :)
Posted: 10/27/2007 12:59:13 AM
TomFarrell

I thought I should bump this thread, since the instrument is scheduled to sell in mere hours and it is still at an abnormally low price for an RCA.
Posted: 10/27/2007 1:23:51 AM
vonbuck

wow, that is cheap. i'd use the last of my student loans to bid on it, but I'm almost done and don't want to go any longer, but that is an amazingly low price

Andy
Posted: 10/28/2007 7:40:38 AM
MarkT

This auction was deleted by ebay due to "some reason" 30 minutes aftr it ended so the transaction is NULL AND VOID.
This Theremin, RCA 473, may come up again, but please remember this little snippet before parting with any cash.
Posted: 10/28/2007 5:23:54 PM
Jason

Perhaps we should help folks establish some sort of safety protocol when buying expensive theremins. For example, don't bid unless you can ask the buyer to take a picture of a very specific part the theremin along with today's newspaper to prove it's real.
Posted: 10/28/2007 6:56:31 PM
Tigaman

Disappointing!

I've had several good communications with a number of legitimate potential and actual bidders for my RCA, chassis # 100045, cabinet number #473 that, in fact, I have owned and has been in my possession of for most of my life.

The auction was completed with two identical bids, one placed slightly earlier than a known legitimate bidder. I was underwhelmed with the bid, but it was over my reserve.

I smelled something fishy whan I got a spoofed mail from eBay (wasn't eBay. The headers didn't match and it didn't have my eBay user ID on the e-mail) that directed me to send the theremin to an address in the UK, which is not listed in the auction as a possibility.

Given that the winning bidder had a total of 4 feedback and all of it little stuff and not having heard from this bidder at all in advance, I smelled a rat.

Shortly after that, eBay sent me an alert that told me that an eBay member's account ID had been compromised and used to bid in the auction for my RCA, therefore they had "cancelled" the auction and credited all my listing fees, reserve fee and extra photo fees back to me. The legitimate bidder has been in touch with me, but at this point, [i]I[/i] am a little gun-shy! I'm not sure [i]who[/i] to trust!

I feel bad for the legitimate bidder who bid an amount that would have won the auction, but was listed in the results as having done so after the hacker placed his pirated bid.

I will likely relist this RCA soon. It's the only fair way to fix this problem. Hope it doesn't happen again.

I am a legitimate seller of this item and can post photos or have someone inspect my RCA at ANYTIME! I do agree that eBay is trying to maintain the security of their members and of the auction process and for that, I am thankful. Oh, well.

-Peter
Posted: 10/29/2007 1:22:56 AM
Alan_in_CA

Better safe than sorry. I have never used Ebay myself, but know a couple of others who were (unsuccessful) objects of scams when they did.
Posted: 11/11/2007 5:08:17 AM
botskurd

i want one! haha!
Posted: 1/20/2008 4:04:38 AM
Thierry

What I cannot understand is the intention to help the seller to obtain much money for his RCA-Theremin.

We should help together to acquire these instruments for a low, reasonable price in order to keep them functioning.

RCA-Theremins are made for making music, not money!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.