The Beat Frequency Method book and CD

Posted: 5/22/2009 4:57:47 AM
GordonC

The Beat Frequency Method book and CD is now available for purchase online at £8.00 plus postage.

>>>>>>>> click here (http://beat-frequency.blogspot.com/2009/05/buy-beat-frequency-method.html) <<<<<<<<
Posted: 5/22/2009 10:31:41 AM
Thomas Grillo

Gordon, Congrats on the method book, and CD. :)
Posted: 5/22/2009 4:55:00 PM
GordonC

Thank you Thomas. Mostly I printed them up so I'd have a bit of merchandise for my very occasional gigs, and also because there may be one or two people here interested.

My hope is that I can sell fifteen before the market is saturated, because I'd quite like my outlay back. :-)

(Collectors of theremin ephemera might like to note that there are only fifty in the first edition, and if it goes to a second edition I'll do something to differentiate the editions, like changing the colour of the cover.)
Posted: 6/11/2009 11:12:05 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I have just recieved my copy of the book and CD..

Ok, the book is a book - nicely finished, and worth having..

The CD.. OMG! ... I have heard bits of Gordons stuff from on-line downloads and U-Tube.. I have been quite impressed, but not exactly gobsmacked - I thought the video's probably carried the music..

I am now listening to the CD for the 3rd time, Amplifier cranked up and the Tannoy's screaming - This is no ordinary album.. If anything, the videos detract the focus and do not do the music justice.

Particularly track 5 onward.. It has been a long, long time since I have heard new music which has excited me like this... The last time was probably when I first heard "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by Yes, back in the 70's.. Or maybe Pink Floyd's "Ummagumma" studio album.

An awesome album in my opinion! - Dont be put off by a few unpleasant scratchy sounds as the album starts.. Also, the first few tracks are a little uninspiring to my taste.. This album definately gets better the deeper into it you go!

I want MORE!!!
Posted: 6/11/2009 11:50:28 AM
GordonC

[i]Amplifier cranked up and the Tannoy's screaming[/i]

Now you know why I have a 120 watt practice amp right behind my head and practice when the neighbours are at work!

[i]I thought the video's probably carried the music[/i]

And there's me avoiding showing myself playing because I didn't want the novelty of a non-contact instrument to carry the music. You can't win.

[i]Particularly track 5 onward..[/i]

The recordings are in roughly chronological order, so I would hope they get better. :-)

(Fred, check your spam folder. I sent you an email re: meeting up on Sunday.)
Posted: 6/11/2009 1:42:41 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"And there's me avoiding showing myself playing because I didn't want the novelty of a non-contact instrument to carry the music. You can't win."[/i]

The trouble is.. The videos you select / create are extremely good and interesting in their own right - AND they are exceptionally well matched to the music..

These days, music video's are a 'composite' art form - and yours are bloody good..

But, in my opinion, your music ON ITS OWN is FAR better than your video 'composite'.. This is not because the 'composite' is bad.. I think its because the music is new and requires fully attentive listening so that the brain can absorb / process it without any 'cues' to 'guide' the "processing". -

I never heard your music until I listened with my eyes closed and my head optimally spaced between two Tannoy Gold's.

And you are right - You cannot win! .. The curse of mixed media dogs us all.. To expose your music you must have video - it is expected.. And some (most? - except for the brain-dead rubbish which all sounds the same and video is required to differentiate one song from another) music needs to be listened to without visual interference, and visuals weaken or distort the impact of the music.
Posted: 6/11/2009 2:45:11 PM
kkissinger

Hi Gordon,

Just completed an order. Can you autograph the book and cd for me? That would be a plus.

Look forward to listening.

-- Kevin
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:39:16 PM
GordonC

It will be in the post in the morning, Kevin.

Ooh, I hope you like it - it's an odd feeling sending a copy to someone I'm a bit in awe of, musically speaking. Especially knowing you post considered and objective reviews of recordings by other theremin players I'm in awe of from time to time.

Still, you find such charming ways of saying where you find room for improvement, so it's OK. :-)

[i]the brain-dead rubbish which all sounds the same and video is required to differentiate one song from another[/i]

I guess you haven't watched any of the pop channels lately - the videos are all the same too - skinny women dancing about in their underwear.
Posted: 7/9/2009 5:39:47 PM
Thomas Grillo

Gordon, Sorry it's taken me this long to get my copy. Finances, you know?
Posted: 7/9/2009 6:20:07 PM
GordonC

No problem.

It'll be on it's way air mail in the morning.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.