Wanted: Slide Theremin similar to The Beach Boys'

Posted: 6/15/2009 6:52:25 AM
coalport

The theremin cello may be "cool" because it is a rare musical curiosity but it is an invention that failed as a practical musical instrument.

It is extremely difficult to play and, in spite of the name, it has little in common with a cello. I spoke extensively with the two cellists who played the instrument at the Slee Concert Hall back in 2002 at the University of Buffalo, and they found the instrument to be impractical.

Posted: 6/15/2009 10:55:20 AM
Jeff S

OK....I agree the Stylophone was not a good example. I was working from memory, which is not 100 percent reliable. The Stylophone hardly rates as a legitimate instrument in my opinion.

From what I can tell, the Haken Continuum does not have any tactile references for pitch. It does have a graphic to mark locations for equal temperment.

Haken Continuum (http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/html/overview/HowToPlay.html)

Fretless electric bass guitars also have dots that mark the fret locations on the player side of the neck, but they too are only a guide and do not ensure accurate intonation.

My Therevox ET-1 also has a "keyboard" graphic as the Beach Boys Tannerin has. However, in and of itself, it does not aid accuracy in my opinion. I found it to be more of a distraction than a benefit. Perhaps if one were to dedicate enough practice time to learn to utilize it, it may become an asset. Even so, it can only be considered a "guide" and accurate playing can only be accomplished by ear and muscle memory.
Posted: 6/15/2009 1:18:01 PM
GordonC

My mistake Jeff, - I had assumed the markings on the Continuum were tactile. I see from the user manual that I was in error. (I do note that it has pitch correction built in, however.)

I defer to your experience of the Therevox.
Posted: 6/15/2009 9:49:37 PM
vonbuck

,,Fretless electric bass guitars also have dots that mark the fret locations on the player side of the neck, but they too are only a guide and do not ensure accurate intonation...

Mine doesn't and neither do any of the bowed string instruments.

Andy

Posted: 6/16/2009 7:17:09 PM
teslatheremin

Sorry FredM,
But, I think that the slide circuits for the "Beach Boys" are readily available on the net.
It is interesting, however, that many of us here at Theremin World got all fired up to help someone who wants to make a Theremin sound with the complete control of touch.
Good Luck!
teslatheremin
P.S.--- I still fell asleep: A good thing for me.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.