Theremin Transcriptions.

Posted: 6/11/2010 11:32:08 PM
jazzster44

I offer my services to transcribe original theremin works to sheet music.
For further information and pricing, contact me at
jazzster1@att.net or via my website, www.adrianhester.com
Posted: 6/14/2010 5:36:12 PM
omhoge

Hi Adrian, welcome to ThereminWorld.
It's always handy to know about these services.

If you have any interesting adventures arranging music for theremin players please let us know. It's always a hot topic.

Posted: 6/15/2010 6:53:13 PM
jazzster44

Hi John,
I'm in the process of transcribing original theremin pieces for Thomas Grillo. I transcribed several pieces for classical guitar while in college, but at least I had the original sheet music to follow. As far as the theremins goes, I use software to tell me what pitch and note duration and relative key. From there I input each note into Finale and add dynamics accordingly. Time consuming - yes, but it's always nice to see what you have composed put to a written score.
Posted: 6/16/2010 7:51:47 PM
coalport

jazzster44, do you play the theremin?

If not, have you studied its limitations?

I have a copy of a concerto for theremin and orchestra that was written about twelve years ago by a noted American composer and dedicated to thereminist Lydia Kavina.

There's only one problem with it. It's unplayable.
Posted: 6/16/2010 9:08:24 PM
jazzster44

Hi,
I've only played around with a Theremin, but I'm good friends with Thomas Grillo who has demonstrated it for me. He is also performing on two songs on a CD of mine.So, I have some understanding of its limitations - for instance speed and large leaps between intervals don't seem to be friendly to the Theremin.
Posted: 6/18/2010 12:02:52 AM
vonbuck

Plus Thomas doesn't roam much into anything too odd, in fact tends to stay fairly within straight ahead playing.
If your just transcribing music, it really doesn't matter if it's playable on whatever instrument your transcribing, as long as it is accurate.

Andy
Posted: 6/18/2010 12:28:48 AM
jazzster44

Yea,
Thomas may be known for playing a straight ahead style of music, but he's been drifting into jazz and funk lately. If you want you can here his newer stuff on my website's music page - it's a bit of a change for Thomas.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.