ESPE01 Bass module for Etherwave Standard and Plus theremins

Posted: 7/7/2011 5:24:32 AM
Wilco Botermans

The Etherwave Standard Pitch Extender module (ESPE01) adds 2 octaves to the range of all Moog Etherwave Standard and Plus models. Both linearity and sound of the Etherwave remain exactly the same in the mid and high register, and continue into the lowest regions of the extended pitch range.

The module sells for 59,00 Euro and can be shipped worldwide.

More information and order forms can be found on shop.theremin.nl (http://shop.theremin.nl/TTM/modules.html)

Or check it out on ebay (http://tinyurl.com/3s2fsra).
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:45:37 PM
Wilco Botermans

As I moving all the shop functionalities from www.theremin.nl to www.ethermagic.eu. the module can best be bought there. (59.00 Euro, plus shipping and paypal fee.) It can also still be bought through ebay, but the link above doesn't work anymore. You'll have to use the search function on www.ebay.com. (Don't have an ebay store, so no direct link will last very long.) The fixed price on ebay is $95.-, which includes all fees and standard shipping worldwide.

Cheerio,

Wilco

Posted: 4/27/2012 2:21:19 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Wilco Botermans: The sound does not stay the same at all. It is enhanced greatly. It sounds more like an Etherwave Pro. Which is why I've started doing more vids featuring the Etherwave Standard with the module.

On all three of the EW Standards I've installed the module in, they all sounded like a brass horn before the install. Once the module was installed the theremin took on a more violin like tone in the upper registers, and double bass tone in the lower. On other settings, the woodwind tone was greatly enhanced.

Posted: 4/27/2012 3:26:19 PM
mollydad

I agree with Thomas....For me, the improvement in tone is even more important than the extended bass range (which is also awesome)....I'm a clarinetist by training, so to me, it's like the difference in tone between a student plastic clarinet with a plastic mouthpiece and a student reed (before the ESPE01 mod), and a professional clarinet with a custom hard rubber mouthpiece and a reed made from fine French cane (after the ESPE01 mod).  I really like the "flute" tone I get by setting the waveform and brightness knobs both at about 3 o'clock...That's the only tone I'm using right now.  Thanks again for your contribution to making this improvement available...It's really a paradigm shift, in my opinion....

Posted: 4/27/2012 4:28:44 PM
Amethyste

I wish something of this effect could be done to my wavefront. since I received my Subscope, i really dislike the wavefront's lack of volume expression and the strange spacing. I will always keep my wavefront, but right now, it's collecting a little dust and it's such a shame! I'd be happy to send it to Thierry, but since the circuit board is attached to all the knobs and the cabinet, i'd have to send that too and it would not be cost effective I am afraid... :(

Posted: 4/27/2012 4:42:03 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Amethyste: The board is connected to the knobs via a connector cable that unplugs from the board. Same for the antenna leads. Thereminstrel had to send his board back for servicing, and that's how he got it out. Nothing to it. :) If I were not looking at having to sell my Wavefront, I'd likely be sending mine over to France for the mod. If things improve, who knows. Perhaps.

Posted: 4/27/2012 4:48:13 PM
Amethyste

I am not sure about that Thomas... I know the Wavefront i have is much older than Thereminstrel's... I'd have to look at it. :)

Posted: 4/27/2012 4:54:39 PM
mollydad

Dollars to donuts Thierry could modify your Wavefront...Save your pennies and have the mod done....I think I saw Thierry comment that he has a module variant for the Wavefront, but that the mod is not easy, so it would be best to let him do the work if'n you can...

Posted: 4/27/2012 5:00:24 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Amethyste: Yeh, that's a possibility regarding yours. But I think you'll find, and I forgot to mention, there are 4 or 5 male/female connectors for the controls power, and audio, but still, should be easy to undo, just mark them and take a picture prior to doing the disconnect.

@mollydad: Yes, I saw Thierry mention that on my Travelcase sale thread. I think if I decide against selling, I'll likely build a proper theremin cabinet to put such a modified circuit into. It just wouldn't feel right chucking such a quality circuit back into that travel case after the mod.

Posted: 4/27/2012 5:09:44 PM
Thierry

mollydad is right. I can improve the Wavefront theremins too. When I did it for the first time I wrote about that on Facebook and a skeptical "friend" asked almost immediately if Gene Segal, the inventor and builder of these fine theremins, would permit such interventions. Before I could reply, there was a comment from Gene himself: "Gene approves all what Thierry does!" :-)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm living on the other side of the big bond in the north-east corner of France, near the German (15 miles) and Swiss (35 miles) border. Thus it might be somewhat expensive to ship a theremin from the US to me and back, that is right. All seems to depend from the service. Roger Ballenger sent me his Etherwave Pro from California with FedEx. It took about a week to arrive for about $230 if I remember well but I'm not sure that he choose the cheapest company. When I shipped it back, I did it with Colissimo, the parcel branch of the French postal services for 90€ which makes about $120 and it took about a week to arrive for about the half price...

In case of a Wavefront classic theremin I'd not need the legs, which could save on the weight. But I'd need the top cabinet and the antennas in order to tune it correctly.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.