ESPE01 Bass module for Etherwave Standard and Plus theremins

Posted: 8/7/2012 5:11:11 AM
hewson

@hewson. Great job on deductive observation to locate the new home for that audio wire in the Plus. :) That module is a real God-send. Eh?

YES YES YES THANK YOU THIERRY (and thx thomas, after watching a couple of your videos i finally worked up the courage to ply my hand at soldering this thing!)  i have tested the theremin by itself and also verified that the CV's on the PLUS board still work as intended... well, dare i say the PLUS board's frequency counter actually works a bit better now!  previously, you could get it to hang on a particular pitch voltage if you retracted your arm into the low nether regions of the pitch field too quickly.  now it just tracks all the way down!

EDIT: AND thx WILCO for sending them over so quickly!! they came in a very sturdy custom-made laminated cardboard enclosure, hehe

EDIT: PS so.. uh.  anybody know what are these extra white wires supplied with the kit are for?  in case i snip something too short?

Posted: 8/7/2012 7:18:23 AM
hewson

two of thierry's excellent ESPE01 modules successfully installed in my two etherwave plus theremins...

disturbingly, on my newer theremin, i ended up with an extra 'washer' that appeared out of nowhere.  it wasn't one of those toothed washers that hold down the circuit board, but just a flat smooth washer...!  no idea where it came from (*ulp*)

2 ESPE01 modules installed

Posted: 8/7/2012 8:56:07 AM
Thierry

The non-toothed washer has to be put under the circuit board at the rear left corner. This helps to bring up the power supply plug and eases the connection thorough the hole in the cover.

Posted: 8/7/2012 9:19:41 AM
Wilco Botermans

Hi Hewson,

The spare wire is meant for owners of older Big Briar Etherwaves. They have a different board layout, and C6 is located much more to the left. There's an image of that on the Ethermagic Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Ethermagic 

Good job on going for the A2 point. This image here, made by Thierry, shows the best way to lead the wires to the PLUS, to make the module be most effective. 

ESPE01 in Etherwave PLUS

And I'm glad the CV output improves as well. I haven't been able to try this out myself yet.

Cheerio,

Wilco

Posted: 8/7/2012 1:04:05 PM
Thomas Grillo

@Hewson: You'll want to rebend those pitch antenna wires so they form a vertical arch between the antenna and board.

@Wilco Botermans: I was wonderinga bout that extra wire too. Now I know. Thanks. :)

Posted: 8/7/2012 4:21:49 PM
hewson

thanks to all of you - the detail and level of support on this forum is AWESOME@!#!@##!@

Posted: 9/10/2012 9:50:27 AM
Guidoracer

Any updates on a U.S. West Coast installer?

Posted: 9/10/2012 10:37:22 AM
Thierry

Yes, please contact Gene Segal: http://thereminstore.com/contact/

You'll have to buy your module in the Netherlands though. Gene will not sell them but offer an installation service at a reasonable price.

Posted: 10/9/2014 4:55:56 PM
RayROnline

Yes, please contact Gene Segal: http://thereminstore.com/contact/

You'll have to buy your module in the Netherlands though. Gene will not sell them but offer an installation service at a reasonable price.

It is now 3 days trying. I have emailed 2x and called 1x. No reply, no email, no answer. 310-204-6099 (your call can not be completed as diled. Please check the number, etc)

Is Gene and Wavefront Technologies still in business?  I am also still waiting on a reply from ethermagic.eu about getting the module.  Anyone got some 411 on the mysterious silence in the Theremin technical community?

Posted: 10/9/2014 5:42:22 PM
Thomas Grillo

@RayROnline: You simply need to order the module. If you get an error, just use the Netherlands as your shipping country, and then input your actual address. The order will go through, and you'll get your module. I've had to do that half a dozen times. Worked all the time, though.

I'm working on a DIY adaptive / assistive device that involves a video camera, and video screen that may allow me to restart module installations at some point. Fingers crossed. I can't afford the $2,000 to $3,000 for a V-tech low vision assistive camera / screen system. Had one, but it died recently, and the state which issued it would not replace it. Lovely.

There is a video which shows how to install the module, and do a quick internal re-tune. If you're not up to the re-tune, I am able to perform that bit of things aside from the install for a small fee. I'll let y'all know if I'm able to get installation re-launched.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.