Moog Clinic - 24th March

Posted: 3/24/2006 3:23:13 AM
Charlie D

I will be playing at a Free Bob Moog Clinic today at Turkey on Charing Cross Road, London. Mike Adams and Brian Kehew are coming down too in order to demonstrate an amazing new product, one of the first to be unveiled since Summer.

I just hope I can live up to their fancy banner!

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/images/free%20bob%20moog.jpg

Charlie
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:29 PM
GordonC

Well, I thought it was the best theremin performance I have ever attended, and excellent value for money too!

G
Posted: 3/26/2006 3:51:01 PM
Charlie D

Thanks Gordon! I had a really fun time, and hopefully I'll get the chance to perform again some time soon.
Posted: 3/26/2006 7:21:31 PM
GordonC

I was interested to see how tensely you held your hands whilst playing. It seems to make for very quick movements from one note to the next.

The other part of the clinic - the demonstration of moog hardware was tantalising, but I got the impression that the boxes were capable of a whole lot more than he showed us. I really get the idea of being able to control one device with another, and wire them together in interesting ways - it's no different to programming in Forth or using layers and filters in Photoshop - I have demonstrated both to an audience before, and i know this, if you just pick a few at random and throw them together, you'll get a program that doesn't work, or an image that looks awful, or a noise that doesn't really sell the product.

The better route is to work out a few set pieces that demonstrate a one or two fundamentals and produce some really impressive output.

It was interesting to get my hands near an etherwave pro - but again it was tantalising - I need to be very relaxed and focussed and I was neither.

Having had time to think about it next time I'll ask the guy to plug a delay in, very wet, with a fair number of repeats and vary the speed of the delay via the volume antenna, and then let him attach what he likes after that, so I could vary the complexity of the sound going through the successive processes. It seemed to me that a lot of the boxes worked better with a more complex waveform.

There was a young woman that had a go - she requested something "rocking" and the best I could come up with was Somewhere Over The Rainbow. D'oh. Still, she was good! First time, and with a bit of guidance from Charlie she was hitting those notes really well. I was impressed. I hope she does follow up on it. She ought to.

(For future reference - Whole Lotta Love is rocking. Or Delilah.)

Posted: 3/27/2006 12:14:45 PM
Charlie D

Now I think of it, I do hold my hand sort-of tense. Not as tense as Clara seemed to though - I suppose I do it mainly for stability. It also lends quite a different sound to the music; I try to relax when the music dictates, like for the 'flowy' parts in the Swan.

Most musicians who try the theremin pick it up pretty fast, and that lady was certainly no exception. She was a natural. My suggestion of 'baa baa black sheep' was probably a bit patronising for her. . . . as it stood, her rendition of Rainbow was impressively discernible! :)

It's far more entertaining when someone who doesn't know their Arne from their Elgar (not that many people would, just to use a silly phrase) claims that the theremin's 'really easy' and then continues to step forward confidently and then only elicit screaming from the contraption. They normally leave angrily, muttering about it being 'rubbish anyway.' Hahahaha.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.