Cellular Terror!

Posted: 12/6/2006 9:57:50 AM
DiggyDog

That ought to get the attention of the boys from Der Ministry of Homeland Security!

Relax, guys. It's just the name of one of my side projects.

Jay from Barnyard and I make up the band (and I use that term loosely). We play the usual roster of instruments and assorted noise-makers, including theremin (of course!), Moog and Yamaha analog synths, bass, guitar, sound effects, circuit-bent stuff and cell phones.

We are playing a show at Yesterday's in Jacksonville on Dec. 20th with another local noise act, Telepathic Friend and national act To Live and Shave in LA.

We will also be joined onstage by Microwave Windows, a group form Tampa, who will most likely play our set with us.

I think we are going to do some kind of point-counterpoint abstract fugues in an "us vs. them" format.

I don't know much about them except that they found us on Myspace and really dug our "songs".

It should be an interesting noisy good time for all.

Posted: 12/6/2006 9:58:55 AM
DiggyDog

I must admit that I don;t know much about "To Live and Shave in LA" but they have a pretty strong web presence and seem to be well-regarded.

Posted: 12/6/2006 3:12:17 PM
DiggyDog

Update....Apparently TLASILA has cancelled their tour.

Some of the members will still be there performing as The Laundry Room Squelchers, which is a side project.

CT, MW, and TF will all be there in full force so the show will go on.

I am switching out the musical saw for the metal detector for this show.

It sounds and works very much like a theremin except it puts out a eally nasty saw-tooth wave.

It also has a knob that works like a pitch control, which is a lot of fun to fiddle with while I play.
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:52:18 AM
DiggyDog

We are talking about adding a few more "instruments" to the performance.

We may be using a vacuum cleaner and/or a blender.

I want to bring my leaf blower but it's gas operated and the gig is indoors so I should probably leave it at home.

I am also going to try to have a friend run some movie projectors over us while we play.
Posted: 3/22/2007 5:04:12 PM
DiggyDog

I realized that I never updated this.

The show went great. I'll post a link to a video of it when I get it.

For now, here is our Myspace page.

profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=103977218

There are a fair number of conspiracy buffs in our friends section but don't let that put you off.

It's pretty noisy stuff and all the songs use cell phones in one way or another.
Posted: 4/23/2007 8:48:22 AM
DiggyDog

May 2 at Yesterday's Social Club in Jacksonville, Fl.

Cellular Terror will be playing with two other bands from Talahassee.

I don't have the names of the other groups yet but they are doing some jazz and at least one of them has a vibe player.

Oh, and just to make it interesting, my son might be playing with us. He's way underage (by more then a decade) but we could sneak him in, maybe in an instrument case or something.

It really depends on whether my wife is busy that night and if the boy wants to play.

Either way, I will be playing my Etherwave, Steinberger bass, Casio SK-1, Mattell Synsonics drums, and circuit-bent Speak and Spell.

The Hofner and The Beast are staying home fo rhte evening.
Posted: 4/23/2007 9:52:06 AM
GordonC

I found just the right stomp box for Cellular Terror.

---> ringtone (http://zvex.com/ringtone.html) <---

Posted: 4/23/2007 1:53:08 PM
DiggyDog

The name is sure right. Maybe we could get a sponsorship deal out of them.
Posted: 5/29/2007 8:18:11 AM
DiggyDog

CT has a gig coming up in Tampa in a couple of weeks. I am going to be flying back from Las Vegas that day so there is no way I will be able to make the gig in person.

I am going to perform in town and call Jay's cellphone while he is on stage so I can be at two gigs at once.

U am not sure what insturments I will play since there will be some latency over the cellphone network (an effect we use on stage when we are together).

I will definitely do some spoken word vocals on ("2 Minute Warning/Afternoon Prayers" or whatever we will call that piece) and maybe some of my pad-type theremin while the other band memebers play along with me.

I might also use the Speak and Spell. That should translate well over the phone.

I can't actually play the cellophone this time since I will be using it to connect at that point.

If there is a review that says it seemed like I was just phoning in my performance they will (for once) be correct.
Posted: 6/13/2007 2:07:33 PM
DiggyDog

Well, it's time for another CT gig.

This one is June 27 at Shanty Town in Jax.

We will have theremin, guitar, ebow, Moog, Synsonics drums, SK-1, circuit-bent craziness, toys, noise, and (of course) cellphones.

If you're in the area, come on out and get a free beer if you mention ThereminWorld...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.