Posted: 4/17/2009 8:17:37 AM
Brian R

Solo theremin recital by Brian Robison

Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 8:00pm
Concert Hall, Mahaney Center for the Arts
Middlebury College
72 Porter Field Road
Middlebury, VT 05753

A smorgasbord of classical, popular, and avant-garde selections, heard as never before, and certainly not as nature intended them.

Featuring the performing talents of Jeffrey Buettner, Mark Christensen, Dick Forman, Larry Hamberlin, Peter Hamlin, Dayve Huckett, Kareem Khalifa, and Greg Vitercik.

Free admission.
Posted: 5/17/2009 8:02:23 PM
Brian R

Some highlights are now available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/brianrobison).

Some true confessions:

A good time was had by all, though once again I didn’t quite live up to my own expectations. Partly a function of fatigue, partly of mild stage fright.

Here are the flaws I need to correct:

1) Sloppy pitch fishing! Somehow, time after time, when I tried to sneak a listen to find my opening pitch, I couldn’t hear anything… so I would lift my left hand a teensy bit higher… still nothing… a little higher, still nothing… and then it would be time for me to enter, and I had to bring up the volume to a level clearly audible to the audience, and correct as quickly as I could. In some cases, my hand was a third or more away from the desired pitch. Yuk.

2) Shaky starts, probably a direct consequence of the above. The first phrase of each selection tended to be messy, especially with regard to intonation. The longer each item went on, the better I fared.

3) Mushy attacks. Mainly a symptom of pitch perfectionism, trying to get each pitch just right before bringing the volume up to a level audible to the audience. In real life, there just isn’t time; I need to practice a more confident left-hand technique, in conjunction with drilling my right hand to find pitches more reliably, instantaneously.

Posted: 5/18/2009 4:32:57 AM
Etherspiel

Brian -

Thanks for posting the link to your performance. I listened to several of the clips.

It sounds like your playing is coming along, but I think you should practice more before doing public performances.
Posted: 5/18/2009 5:54:32 PM
kkissinger

[i]"1) Sloppy pitch fishing! Somehow, time after time, when I tried to sneak a listen to find my opening pitch, I couldn’t hear anything… so I would lift my left hand a teensy bit higher… still nothing… a little higher, still nothing… and then it would be time for me to enter, and I had to bring up the volume to a level clearly audible to the audience, and correct as quickly as I could. In some cases, my hand was a third or more away from the desired pitch. Yuk."[/i]

You may want to consider placing your theremin monitor at ear level within arm's length of your right ear. Indeed, at that distance, every little "flaw" in your playing is obvious to you. However, you can correct the pitch before the audience notices the correction.

You may wish to consider use of a pitch-preview. A pitch preview would help you with entrances after long rests.

[i]2) Shaky starts, probably a direct consequence of the above. The first phrase of each selection tended to be messy, especially with regard to intonation. The longer each item went on, the better I fared.[/i]

Pitch preview. Give it a try... :)

[i]3) Mushy attacks. Mainly a symptom of pitch perfectionism, trying to get each pitch just right before bringing the volume up to a level audible to the audience. In real life, there just isn’t time; I need to practice a more confident left-hand technique, in conjunction with drilling my right hand to find pitches more reliably, instantaneously.[/i]

Try practicing without using your left hand. Just put your left hand at your side and play the melodies. This is counter-intuitive, I know -- however you are trying to do too much with your left hand. Particularly for classical music -- let your right hand deal with details and let your left deal with the "big picture" of long, arched, crescendi and dimenuendi. Strive to get "waves of sound" rather than individual notes. You can do it!

Don't "drill" your right hand. "Drill, baby, Drill" doesn't work that well for theremin playing :) . It is all about hand/ear coordination. Don't try to "hit" notes... instead, learn how to move to them securely while listening. Practice slowly -- exaggerate the glisses if you need to at first -- once you develop hand/ear coordination the speed will come.

Try to "reach" for notes rather than to "hit" them. That is, an undershoot corrected to pitch is preferable to an overshoot that is corrected back in the opposite direction. Check out the Clara Rockmore recordings. Her approach to glisses melds both style and practicality.

On sustained notes, never stop "working the notes" -- keep trimming them to pitch. Remember that you, as the performer, will tend to hear the top of the vibrato cycle -- place the top of your vibrato slightly above your target pitch. This takes some getting used to. The wider the vibrato, the farther the top of the vibrato sits above the target pitch.

I hope you don't mind these comments. Since you posted a self-critique I wanted to offer some ideas that you might want to explore.

All the best!

[i]-- Kevin[/i]

Posted: 5/18/2009 7:19:41 PM
GordonC

[i]I think you should practice more before doing public performances[/i]

Contrariwise, if stage fright is the significant factor then I think you should practice by doing more public performances.

:-)
Posted: 5/18/2009 9:21:05 PM
Brian R

Kevin-- Thanks for the tips! Yes, glad to have your input. Personally, I dislike having the speaker directly at ear level, but I suppose I might dislike it less than those painfully obvious swoops.

The first time I tried pitch preview, I found it too distracting; maybe I'll try again.

Etherspiel-- I appreciate your commitment to high musical standards, but Gordon is right: there's only so much I can do with practicing in private. Any teacher of a conventional instrument will set up performance opportunities, so that students can acclimate to public performance. I have to make do with diving into the deep end.

And yes, it's specific to the theremin: Public speaking? Acting? Playing piano, or guitar, or singing, or conducting? Been there, done all those, virtually no nerves. But concert performance on theremin is still comparatively new for me, so I need to seize every opportunity.
Posted: 5/19/2009 3:31:29 AM
Etherspiel

Brian -

Please take my comments as constructive criticism. I actually make my living as a working musician, so it is probably more a serious business for me than many people who are hobbyists.

I do, however, stand by my comments. Practice, practice, practice until you can play each piece perfectly in your sleep. That is the BEST way to deal with stage fright - confidence in how well you can play will help you to play well in spite of stage fright. Conversely, if you are still shaky in your playing, stage fright will only make your playing worse - in fact, not being prepared will induce stage fright. Being well-rehearsed diminishes it.

Now for the brutally honest truth - in your recordings your intonation is very shaky. Imagine you went to a concert where a vocalist sang as out of tune as that, and then asked for advice? You would tell him to go back to the practice room and work on intonation. You would also walk away from the concert not being inspired by the beautiful music, but instead would think "boy that singer can't sing in tune". Many mistakes are forgivable during a concert, but playing out of tune isn't one of them: no-one likes hearing music that is out of tune.

Try ear training excercises. Try practicing long tones, and accurately holding a pitch. This really needs to be accomplished first - then you will have a foundation for working on articulation and other technique.

[i]"Any teacher of a conventional instrument will set up performance opportunities, so that students can acclimate to public performance."[/i]

Yes, but the instructor waits until the student is at an acceptable level of accomplishment first. The worst thin to do to a student is to have them perform when they are not yet ready - it diminishes confidence and can be emotionally scarring as well.

Again, I hope you take these comments as helpful and constructive, which is exactly what I mean them to be. You asked for critique, and I am offering it honestly, and I sincerely hope it will help you.

All the best and I look forward to your progress.

Posted: 5/19/2009 12:06:09 PM
vonbuck

Brian,
Try using an audio pitch preview again. It does take a little getting use to, but will advance your playing a 100 percent.
Even when your use to using a preview, it can be distracting, but I find it more distracting and annoying for the audience to hear fishing. And really when performing, your are playing for the audience and not yourself.
Andy
Posted: 5/19/2009 5:26:46 PM
Brian R

Etherspiel-- Thanks again for the comments. Constructively intended, and constructively received.

Andy-- Good point about pitch preview. I'll steel myself to it, for their sake.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.