Spacial Awareness Bach?

Posted: 6/29/2006 4:00:17 PM
Charlie D

Mark - I haven't been able to get hold of a tactile copy of the Bohuslav, but there's a half-decent MIDI file available for download at www.thereminvox.com.

I have found that suitable for practise until I can secure the sheet music. It seems a particularly difficult piece to play well - if you can stumble through it acceptably then you must be well on the way to becoming 'concert' standard. Becoming concert standing really has only one prerequisite though I suppose - playing in concert!
Posted: 6/30/2006 6:16:56 AM
marxc2001

LOL! Very true, Charlie, VERY true!!

Many thanks for the thereminvox.com the MIDI file tip - will try loading it into Sibelius and see what I can do about making my own score (from sibelius to image, image to PDF is the plan...)

I have an old contact in the Manchester library (who have one of the biggest music libraries in the country) - he may be able to tell me how to source it. Thing is, with things like this (I did once try to secure copies of some Gordon Jacob works) you can sometimes only get them on 'hire only' (which I think is the most annoying part of the Music Publishing industry!).

And no, I've tried playing it through based by ear on what I can remember, and it is NOT easy - it's the bit at around 8.00 minutes in - the bit just before is lovely, but that bit has got me ATM. The a-tonal/almost modal nature of some sections of the piece doesn't help in find notes.

I love the piece though, and it gives me something else to do, other than seeing which Beatles/well known tunes fit best on the Theremin ('When I'm 64' is more challenging than I first thought...that's going to need some practise).

Have fun, and many thanks,

Mark.
Posted: 6/30/2006 6:32:36 AM
Charlie D

I too have Sibelius. The theremin part isn't right when it comes up onscreen - it seems to have been input by pitch-bend commands. I ended up rewriting the whole thing notewise.
Posted: 6/30/2006 7:59:20 AM
marxc2001

Hmm - will have a look at it when I get some free time (all eaten up with rehearsals and concerts this weekend). I remember that the Cubase notation function was good with MIDI - but whether it's any good with pitch bend I don't know...

IF I get anywhere, will post (although from what you've said, it won't be easy).

Have fun.

MxC

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.