Piano accomaniment

Posted: 4/13/2008 2:21:39 PM
Thierry

Today, I did not longer want to do "dry" practicing and I searched on google in order to find some accompaniments for my standard repertoire (Swan, Vocalise, G-String Aria). Finally I discovered a wonderful website where one can get high quality mp3 files with piano accompaniments, much better and with more musicality than most midi files. OK, they charge a few British pounds for the download, but it's worth.

See here:
http://www.piano-accompaniments.com
Posted: 5/29/2008 11:36:12 AM
Thereminstrel

Thanks! I'm really glad you found this website. I checked it out and ordered a CD of pieces I fancied learning a few weeks ago. The service was fast, and the piano-playing excellent. I guess I could play my own piano accompaniment, but time spent doing that would be less time learning the theremin, so this site was very convenient indeed. I'll certainly use them again.
Posted: 5/31/2008 10:14:58 AM
Thomas Grillo

I use PianoAccompaniments.com as well for my youtube vids. Kristian Banatzianou is the pianist who owns, and runs it. He recently provided a special performance of The Swan for my latest youtube vid of that work. Nice thing is, I don't have to worry about coppyright problems, sinse all he specializes in mainly, is classical (public domain) works. You can use his accomp for professional works as well as practice.
Posted: 5/31/2008 9:38:59 PM
Brian R

Careful--Not all of these works are in the public domain. I imagine that most of the tracks that would appeal to the broader thereminical community are the older items, by composers longer-dead... but the items by composers who died in the 20th century, such as Barber, Chaminade, Dutilleux, Finzi, Hindemith, Martinu, Poulenc, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Roussel, and Shostakovich (and especially--not dead yet!--Williams) should be presumed under copyright until proven otherwise.

Posted: 6/1/2008 9:34:27 PM
Thomas Grillo

Good point. Well, on that note, here's a site that provides "public domain" and copyright free sheetmusic, and recordings of public domain works.

http://www.musopen.com/

Good thing I like "old school" classical. ;)
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:52:00 PM
Thereminstrel

Just to clarify ... these are two different sites providing a similar sevice.

piano-accompaniments.com is UK-based

PianoAccompaniments.com seems to be US-based.

I guess this makes little difference if you're paying to download an accompaniment, but if you order the accompaniments on CD as I did, it's best posting/shipping-wise to be clear!
Posted: 6/3/2008 9:10:37 AM
Navrag

Another piece of software worth trying out would be Band In A Box from PGMusic (http://www.pgmusic.com). Basically you just type in the chord changes of a tune, and pick a style, and it will generate an accompaniment for you. It has lots of other features like pitch training, generated soloist tracks and melody generation...
Posted: 6/6/2008 12:08:12 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks for the tip. I just got a copy of Band In The Box. Should be interesting to see how it works out.
Posted: 6/6/2008 1:21:00 PM
Charlie D

Also, remember that even if the music's in the public domain, the recording might not be. The performer should have given you permission if you intend to use their recordings....

I think that if you're going to spend any money for a live performance it's worth finding an accompanist. The money you spend will be made up by the difference to the performance it makes. You'll also be more likely to be asked to play other gigs that way.
Posted: 6/10/2008 12:04:19 PM
Thomas Grillo

That's why I allways get permission from the performers of public domain works to include their performances with my videos, or live performances.

I've started working with Band In A Box, and it's mind boggling how many features are at your control. Not only do I now have the means with which to do copyright free accomp, but it's making things very interesting in the way of improv, and composition for the theremin.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.