heavy metal?

Posted: 9/6/2009 3:46:22 PM
Lance_Frederickson

does anyone have Metal Theremin tab's? I cant find any Metal Theremin tab's anywher in Toronto mebe someone has them somwhere else? I', forming the best METAL band with twin lead teremin's in Toronto and would need tab's of HEAVY METAL songs on theremin's very HEAVY! very METAL! must be in canada i'm in canada to.
Posted: 9/6/2009 9:30:21 PM
GordonC

Hi Lance.

I got a bit confused with all your postings about a left hand theremin. Did you find the answer? Stand on the other side of a right handed theremin, with your back to the audience.

There are no theremin tablatures. Learn to read notes or play by ear.

So, a two theremin heavy metal band. How does that work? Is it theremins instead of guitar and bass, or in addition to the usual instruments. If you're asking about tabs I guess you have it in mind to be playing proper in-tune notes?
Posted: 9/6/2009 11:39:44 PM
teslatheremin

Tablature for Heavy Metal Theremin.
Hmmm.
Idiot! BE GONE!
Posted: 9/7/2009 4:48:48 AM
GordonC

Excuse me Tesla, I'm [i]trying[/i] to engage this excited young man in conversation.

Heavy Metal Theremin? Led Zeppelin!
Posted: 9/7/2009 4:36:31 PM
Dubersive

Hey Lance,

It's always nice to see thereminists, new and old, push the envelope in music production. With some heavy distortion effects, I can see the Theremin being a unique addition to a metal band.

Also considering that quite a lot of Heavy Metal contains solos that are almost Classical/Baroque in composition, I imagine it would fit right in. My suggestion to you is to start out playing along to some of your favorite songs. It might be difficult at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quick this way.

I've been playing along to my Star Wars soundtracks (I know, I'm a nerd), it's quite amazing how well the Theremin blends with the sweeping trumpets and violins. Tons of fun.

Like Gordon suggested, check out some of Led Zeppelin's songs with the Theremin. Should offer some inspiration :)
Posted: 9/7/2009 7:31:08 PM
coalport

Like most musical instruments, the theremin can be played so that it will fit with any genre from baroque to experimental industrial.

Your success, however, will depend on your skill with the instrument and what the genre demands.
Posted: 9/7/2009 8:11:39 PM
teslatheremin

Gordon C.,
I guess in a perfect musical world, 'Heavy Metal Theremin Tablature' will be a common item in the new green cluster-fook music stores of this geocentric society that is currently unfolding.
Yes, he has enthusiasm, and is pernicious--- but, a bad idea is just that.
Unfortunately, ignorance is particularly pernicious and enthusiastically sponsored by those that possess the first aforementioned trait.
And, I suspect the subject about who we speak is of an in-advanced age--- hardly past peacock pencil point hair presentation.
Oh, well... good luck with him, old man.
Good Luck!
teslatheremin
Posted: 9/7/2009 8:24:42 PM
teslatheremin

coalport,
Please, whip out the Led-Zep!!
Metal-Ich'Ka?
MEGA-Derth?
Corn?
RamStien?
And, these are the lighter of the feast that wants to feast upon your flesh and bone, and BRAINS---LIVE BRAINS!
The names of these bands have been changed to protect them from the Theremin! And, those bands from Theremin enthusiasts that would try to play same.
Good Luck!
teslatheremin

Posted: 9/7/2009 8:36:36 PM
teslatheremin

Dubersive said this:
'It's always nice to see thereminists, new and old, push the envelope in music production. With some heavy distortion effects, I can see the Theremin being a unique addition to a metal band.'

I seem to agree somewhat--- many great "almost" traditional Heavy Metal solo guitar- like sounds can be had by playing a tweaked Theremin tone through a battery of guitar effects. However, I do not think that anyone will ever possess the real-time playing acumen to truly reproduce or initiate a Theremin solo that cannot be differentiated as such by a true guitarist.
But, I would like all of us to TRY!
Good Luck, You Young Canadian You!
teslatheremin
Posted: 9/8/2009 1:06:47 PM
GordonC

I think with the considered use of effects one could go a lot further than the Led Zeps of this world in integrating theremin into heavy metal.

Here comes a link to a short track I recorded a while ago. It's not heavy metal, but it's pointing in that direction.

Nor was it recorded in real time. It's a sample I recorded and then treated in GarageBand. BUT - I stuck to the conceit that I would only do things in GarageBand that could be achieved in real time with effects pedals. So there is pitch quantisation, delay, pitch shifting, distortion and amp modelling with resonant feedback.

(Sorry about the visuals - they seemed a good idea at the time.)

Oh, and the theremin used? A Gakken Theremin Mini!

youtube link (http://www.youtube.com/GordonCharlton#play/user/D7884E47B7653960/10/b_SWL_MV5SA)

(The track that follows it in the player is what I call heavy!)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.