Hey Jason, a site suggestion

Posted: 12/2/2006 1:32:40 AM
TomFarrell

So, it seems lately like the forums are getting discussion after discussion in which people come post something to the general effect of "I want to buy a theremin. Which one should I buy? Is this one okay?"

Maybe this has something to do with the impending winter holidays?

I wanted to suggest that perhaps it would be good to put something on the front page... something big, bright, and near the top... linking to either a page about the topic, or perhaps to one of these existing discussions, to try to help incoming newbies find the information they want quickly instead of having to ask and wait, and to try to help the old timers from answering essentially the same question over and over.
Posted: 12/2/2006 2:27:50 AM
buddy_craigg

or us new comers from giving bad advise.
Posted: 12/5/2006 7:33:08 PM
Jason

Fantastic suggestion. I'll put something together. Thanks!
Posted: 12/6/2006 3:24:20 PM
DiggyDog

Good idea.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about buying a new car. What kind should I get?
Posted: 12/6/2006 4:13:11 PM
rmks2000

One with two antennas!
Posted: 12/6/2006 4:19:48 PM
TomFarrell

I hear you can get a really fabulous car kit from australia... :-D

Seriously, I was on a couple of sewing-related online forums that got completely, utterly wrecked by an increasing number of people coming in to ask "What sewing machine should I buy?". It got to the point that we basically couldn't discuss anything else, because we'd get drowned out by the 32 ongoing discussions of that topic, and if I ever said "read the FAQ" people would denounce me as a meanie. (I eventually wrote a whole book on the topic, it's not something that can be answered quickly and easily.)

I think Theremin World is great and would like to see it not get swamped by a basic question in that manner. And, by channeling people to a page which already has a bunch of content about the topic, it will also have the side benefit that the advertising on that page will probably be pretty targeted too and should therefore increase the site's revenue.
Posted: 12/6/2006 4:37:00 PM
buddy_craigg

[i](I eventually wrote a whole book on the topic, it's not something that can be answered quickly and easily.)[/i]

you wrote a book on being a meanie???
Posted: 12/6/2006 6:12:06 PM
GordonC

Alternatively, you could make a sticky topic called "Advice about buying your first theremin." and pretty much confine the discussion to that one thread.

Posted: 12/6/2006 7:08:44 PM
TomFarrell

buddy: no, but I [i]do[/i] have a copy of "How to be an evil supervillian" on my technical bookshelf. I have to remember to get a copy of "practical subversion" to go with it.
Posted: 12/6/2006 7:51:37 PM
Jason

Ideally, I'd like to have some sort of wizard that helps new purchasers make a choice. Given my limited time though, I'm starting out with an online article and a few high-visibility links to direct people there. I like the idea of having discussions linked to the article though, so I'll find an appropriate thread (or start one) and go from there.

You guys rock - thanks for the great suggestions!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.