where did the post count go under the user name?

Posted: 7/8/2007 6:38:04 PM
buddy_craigg

i dont see it anymore
Posted: 7/8/2007 6:58:08 PM
GordonC

I noticed that too. It's still on your profile, though.

Congrats on your 200th post, by the way!
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:21:29 PM
buddy_craigg

hey, that's the same as my IQ mutiplied by 4
Posted: 7/9/2007 10:49:18 PM
Jason

We're experimenting with some minor feature changes to help the website performance and stability. omhoge has been very helpful working on the backend lately and it feels to me like things are humming along now. Hopefully these changes will tide everyone over until I can get the whole site re-written on a more modern technology :)
Posted: 7/9/2007 10:51:52 PM
Bonnie C

I certainly hope you reinstate the "New Posts" link. Please?
Posted: 7/11/2007 12:49:08 AM
omhoge

Unfortunately, the code and backend data store for the site are simply showing their age (1995) with the increased content and membership. It was never equipped to handle as many data connections, long forum threads and sections, more content and posts, and increased traffic.

Just a moderate percent of users visiting at the same time could bring the site down; throw in web spiders making hundreds of additional connections and by spring of this year it was crashing multiple times daily and there were significant outages.

We're working hard to stop that and we've been trying to optimize the site: limit extra data calls for user and other data, archive older topics, and organize the home page and forums to improve response and stability.

It's a long process done under pressure and in spare time; still underway but down time is less and the site's response is improving.

Some things pulled out may be temporary as we find more ways to improve them on this old platform. But they and lots of new features will be available in later modern versions.

Thanks for helping each other and us muddle through. At least the site's still up and we're all here supporting the theremin.
Posted: 7/11/2007 2:04:34 AM
buddy_craigg

[i]Unfortunately, the code and backend data store for the site are simply showing their age (1995) with the increased content and membership. It was never equipped to handle as many data connections, long forum threads and sections, more content and posts, and increased traffic.

Just a moderate percent of users visiting at the same time could bring the site down; throw in web spiders making hundreds of additional connections and by spring of this year it was crashing multiple times daily and there were significant outages.

We're working hard to stop that and we've been trying to optimize the site: limit extra data calls for user and other data, archive older topics, and organize the home page and forums to improve response and stability.

It's a long process done under pressure and in spare time; still underway but down time is less and the site's response is improving.

Some things pulled out may be temporary as we find more ways to improve them on this old platform. But they and lots of new features will be available in later modern versions.

Thanks for helping each other and us muddle through. At least the site's still up and we're all here supporting the theremin.[/i]

that was the longest "so get over it" answer i've ever seen...

all kidding aside, i appreciate all the work you guys are doing.
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:35:50 PM
Jason

Thanks. We appreciate the patience :). Keep the feedback and comments coming though - it helps us think through the design of the new site better when we know what people like/don't like about this site.
Posted: 7/11/2007 10:41:46 PM
buddy_craigg

I should have said "WE". WE apprecate all the hard work you guys are doing.

after all, it's not all about me.

which reminds me of a joke
(going up and down the scale)
you , you ,you, you , you , you , you...
you , you ,you, you , you , you , you...
you , you ,you, you , you , you , you...... ME!!!!!!!
Posted: 7/17/2007 9:41:01 AM
omhoge

OK Bonnie C.
We have restored the "Your Unread Posts" forum view.
But please be advised it may be temporary.
The functionality that tracks what you have read touches every part of the forum and remains a performance suspect.
So we all need to keep an eye on performance,
please let us know if you notice any degradation.

Also some forum bugs fixes went in earlier this week, if you noticed them over the weekend: thank you for you patience.

OK... we'll see what happens...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.