New forums uploaded to the beta site

Posted: 6/17/2011 3:38:12 AM
Jason

I pushed up several improvements to the forums on the beta site and I imported most of the threads from the current database to test it under load. So far, it seems to be holding up well, but I'd love some feedback on it. There are certainly more features to add, of course :)

http://www.thereminworld2.com

Your same username and login information should work on the new site. Let me know if you have any problems getting in or posting.

cheers
Jason
Posted: 6/18/2011 1:11:08 PM
Touchless

Hello Jason,

You and omhoge do a wonderful service for the theremin community. I showed up only recently but I have been a long time follower of Theremin World. (-‘

In your new webpage some of the fonts show up larger, these tired eyes like it.

This is my favorite page and I can’t find it in the new setup?

[b]30 Most Recent Active Threads[/b]

What GordonC has done putting together the theremin round table events in the UK is awesome; we need to do it here! This is cyberspace, we all wear a mask.

I remember a time when TW was more active, supportive, kinder and gentler, you could actually get more advice than criticism, and now those days have faded along with the TW T-Shirts given away as a prize long ago.
-
Posted: 6/18/2011 2:01:22 PM
Jason

Thanks Touchless!

I'm actually working on the "30 most recent threads" feature right now. Which would be more useful in your mind - 30 most recent posts (even if they're all on the same thread) or what we have today - the 30 most active threads?

I love the idea of theremin roundtables. Gordon is doing some amazing work over there. I have several new features in the works for the new site, to be announced soon. I'm pulling lots of late nights and weekends to get the new site ready so we can transfer the current content over to the new platform as soon as possible.

Keep the feedback coming!!
Posted: 6/18/2011 2:25:16 PM
Touchless

Jason said:

“Which would be more useful in your mind - 30 most recent posts (even if they're all on the same thread) or what we have today - the 30 most active threads?”

For me personally I like [b]30 most recent active threads[/b] because I need to follow where the subject matter originated so I can respond properly.

If it was a list of currents posts I think the intended theme of the thread would more likely get high-jacked, I’m not quite clear how you would display the list of posts unless each is below its thread header.

Edit: Do posts to Theremin World automatically transfer over to TW2? (back and forth)

-
Posted: 6/18/2011 2:38:40 PM
Jason

Cool - that's what I've been thinking too. Thanks for the perspective.

Currently, posts don't automatically copy between the sites. About once a week, I'm taking the current site's data and importing it to the new site as I add features and test it out.

I'll have the "30 most recent threads" feature enabled by this evening. Would love your feedback on it when it's finished!

Jason
Posted: 6/18/2011 10:14:00 PM
Jason

The recent posts feature is live now. Please ignore the formatting of the whole site, as John and I are still working on the theme. Let me know if you see any problems with functionality!

http://www.thereminworld2.com/Forums/recent

cheers
Jason
Posted: 6/18/2011 11:48:46 PM
Touchless

Hello Jason,

My first observation is the new TW2 setup solved a problem I had. Anytime I went from the webpage at [i]http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=rp[/i] which is the [b] 30 Most Recent Active Threads[/b] to read a new post I was unable to back arrow to this main webpage again because my IExplorer 8 would jump over it to another previous post. This began happening a few months ago.

I like the new message [b]post text box[/b] being much wider with basic instructions below it.

I like the larger fonts though it looks strange at first.

You should make it very obvious for newbees that email addresses are "not" visible to anyone else! There are lurkers that don't post that would like to help them once in a while. Put some sort of message above the posting text box. Then they can decide to reveal contact info.

Good luck and keep up the fine work, trust me, I know how demanding a popular webpage is to maintain, not to mention all the email!
-
Posted: 7/7/2011 3:07:33 AM
Jason

I added articles and forum searching to the new site this week. Ignore the useless formatting on the forum search results for now - that'll improve shortly. I'm curious to know if the search boxes help you find what you're looking for or not. In theory, the results should be ordered by relevance.
Posted: 7/11/2011 11:37:47 PM
Jason

I updated the forum searching feature now on the new site. Give it a try!

http://www.thereminworld2.com/Forums
Posted: 7/15/2011 6:55:38 PM
carport888

Looks cool!

Is there a way to view "Your 10 Most Recent Unread Posts (if logged in)" on the new beta forums?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.