UK Thereminisation! (Brits - do you fancy a get-together?)

Posted: 6/15/2006 9:20:49 PM
J_D

Right. Apart from any spelling errors or other glitches I've not noticed, I think the site is ready to go.

We have FAQ
We have links
We have Thereminists
We have News / Gigs / CDs / Meetings
We have RSS & Email updates
We have a messagebox
We have stats

Have we lift-off?
Posted: 6/16/2006 3:12:48 AM
GordonC

You forgot one thing...

We also have a brilliant introductory offer.

Guys, we have a limited number of way cool email addresses for the first UK thereminists to sign up!

[i]your-name[/i][b]@theremin.org.uk[/b]

OK, Now theremin.org.uk (http://theremin.org.uk) is open for business.

J_D, I cannot believe how quickly you have pulled this together. You are the best. So, in the time honoured tradition of rewarding good work with more work, I think the task of informing the portals and lists should be your privilege. (Don't forget to invite the web-masters to subscribe to our feed for all the latest UK theremin news.)

Meantime I shall busy myself scouring the site for typos.

Posted: 6/16/2006 4:02:48 PM
zakiman

I want 1!!!!

Hi J_d plz can i have one of those sweet @theremin.org.uk adresses plz!
Posted: 6/16/2006 4:23:27 PM
J_D

Yes - okay, calm down! You're first on the list. You need to get yourself over to http://theremin.org.uk, read the 'About Us' page and then email me direct. Once your profile is up on the site I will register your email address for you.

I may not respond instantly, as I'm in the middle of sending our launch details to all the main theremin contacts on the web.
Posted: 6/16/2006 5:16:13 PM
zakiman

emails not working

I shall adress the problem in the morning

good night
Posted: 6/18/2006 8:18:08 PM
J_D

...all together now...

"Where did you get that hat,
where did you get that tile?
I so like the theremin-
dot-org dot-uk style
I should like to have one
Just the same as that
Then if I do, they'll shout 'oo-EEE-oo!'
Where did you get that hat?"

Posted: 6/19/2006 4:42:13 AM
GordonC

With apologies to Steeleye Span (http://stu.beloit.edu/~reinhart/span/ss/all.htm#all),

All around my hat
      I will wear the site address,
      all around my hat,
      for our Theremin UK.
      And if anyone should ask me
      the place that I did purchase it:
      it came from my children
      as a gift for Father's Day.

The label inside the hat says thecapfactory.co.uk (http://thecapfactory.co.uk).
Posted: 6/19/2006 4:57:39 AM
J_D

:-)

Gordon - you made me smile first thing on a Monday morning - a rare occurrence!

Got me thinking about using Cafepress or Spreadshirt to provide some logo t-shirts / caps / etc. as Jason has done for identification at gigs. Might be one for the future. Once we've actually got some members!
Posted: 6/20/2006 12:02:21 PM
marxc2001

I'd love to make the concert on the 7th July, but alas, I'm already in one! But with the .org.uk site, this should serve as a single point of reference for such things.

I greatly like the idea of this site - if I can help in any way, let me know (email me if you want a list of my skills I can offer).

Thanks to GordonC and J_D for their hard work recently - it is really something!

Have fun.

MxC
Posted: 6/20/2006 5:06:27 PM
GordonC

marxc2001, Welcome aboard!

The best things you can do at this point, (or indeed any other Brits watching,) are...

1. Add yourself to the register at internet.org.uk, and get y'self on the list. The more names we have, the better people will feel about adding themselves to it.

2. Spend a bit of time mining the 'net for news to post. There really is a lot of activity out there! This morning I spent a couple of hours raking around myspace, for instance, and came up with something like forty UK bands that have a theremin. There's a ton of other places to look.

3. If you find a bit of news for a band or solo performer, tell them that you've put a notice on Theremin UK, and invite them to check it's accurate.

4. Come up with ideas!

As a quick summary, the situation is this. There's a dozen or so of us on Theremin World are up for a get together. With a bit of luck it could happen next year, so let's use a bit of time building up the numbers.

The news-site is the first step in this, we're making a way to communicate with potential participants. The site is also a good thing for other reasons - it provides news for anyone that's interested, and a way for bands to publicise their activities, and a way for UK thereminists to find each other and get chatty. The get-together is going to benefit from people knowing each other a bit already - it'll give them more reason to come, and they'll have a better time when they're there.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.