UK Thereminisation! (Brits - do you fancy a get-together?)

Posted: 6/21/2006 8:49:34 PM
GordonC

Progress report.

I have initiated first contact with over 200 soloists or bands in the UK that use a theremin. Who'd have thought there were so many. Wow.

Including (and are you paying attention Jason, I know you love these things,) an art installation guy who is using 28 TV screens and computer monitors as part of a giant theremin. Bradford Bananas (http://www.myspace.com/bradfordbahamas2).
Posted: 6/22/2006 12:00:53 PM
marxc2001

That sounds great, GordonC! I hope you endeavours to contact people are fruitful.

A suggestion - just something to throw in - would it be worth trying to get a 'professional' to come along - I'm not talking about someone adept with knives and guns etc. ;-) , but more one of the few Professional Thereminists.

I know Kavina would be difficult to get, but we could always try to get the UK Pro - Celia Sheen. I've met her before, and she's a lovely lady. She's the reason that I really got into the Theremin @ Chets in the first place! She was doing some performances of a Silent Movie in Manchester (Der Golem was the name of the film) and the Theremin was the Golem's voice - VERY effective!

Just an idea. I may be able to get a contact, but I really wouldn't hold much breath about being successful.

Have fun.

MxC
Posted: 6/22/2006 3:06:01 PM
GordonC

I think they are bearing fruit.

I have established contact with the guy who is arranging Pamelia's gigs via mySpace. He has posted some more info on Theremin UK as a comment. We're in the process of getting him signed up so he can post info directly as is becomes available. He mentioned a brilliant UK thereminist from up North, but couldn't quite bring her name to mind. I've just emailed him to ask if it's Celia.

Ha! You're not the only one does magic. My own special sort is starting to work. This is [i]why[/i] I work in public. I am (pause a moment while I put my undies on over my trousers and strike a heroic pose) [i]Connexion Man[/i].

Like they say, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Or in my case, who knows me!

:-)
Posted: 6/22/2006 3:55:54 PM
GordonC

No, apparently Jez is thinking of someone else.

MxC, have a shot at making contact. :-)

Oh, and welcome to Team Theremin UK!

G
Posted: 6/22/2006 6:42:30 PM
marxc2001

Thanks! I'll give a quick ring-round tomorrow morning if I can - see if anyone at the hall where I met her and saw her lecture can remember her contact/her agent. (if it's an agent, it may take a while, but I'll give it a shot).

Have fun.

MxC
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:05:54 AM
zakiman

have you talked to the she creatures?
Posted: 6/23/2006 10:46:48 AM
GordonC

No, but they're one of my mySpace friends. Just a sec...

...ooh, they're fun! And look, they're in your neck of the woods. And they got a couple of gigs coming up next month.

Are you planning on going to the Harbour Festival (http://visitbristol.co.uk/site/whats-on/edf-energy-bristol-harbour-festival-p35531/) on Saturday the 29th? Looks like they're playing at 3:30.

[Edit] Another thought. Charlie D? Are you going?

[edit again] Been looking at their pics. Looks like they got a Kees! Now I have a reason to talk to them. :-)
Posted: 6/23/2006 4:58:19 PM
zakiman

'I use a Moog Etherwave theremin'

i emailed them
Posted: 6/24/2006 11:08:42 AM
Charlie D

I'll go down there, if I can. If there's anything involving a theremin, I'll do everything that I can to get there.
Posted: 6/24/2006 4:01:58 PM
GordonC

That's terrific. The Charlton family have decided to go en masse - Watford council decided not to do their Rainbow Festival this year so this is a good alternative. We'll be meeting up with a friend of mine from school and his family. It would be great to say hi to you ([i]and your responsible adult[/i]) again if you make it.

Oh, one thing - I'm not quite certain about the time they are playing. It might be 3:30, it might be 11:30. I've mailed them on mySpace and will let you know when they reply.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.