Challenge - Get a theremin on "Americas's Got Talent"

Posted: 1/31/2008 11:30:49 AM
Jason

What better way to drum up awareness of the theremin than for one of us to get on the show "America's Got Talent"? The show is seen by millions of people and pits folks with all sorts of talents against each other. Even if you don't make it to the final 20 contestants, I'm willing to bet that a well played theremin audition would definitely make it on air.

Here's a link to the show and the application form: http://www.nbc.com/Americas_Got_Talent/

Extra points if you wear a Theremin World t-shirt! :)
Posted: 1/31/2008 12:58:18 PM
Alexander

Charlie already tried this on the British version. They weren't up for it, sadly...
Posted: 2/1/2008 11:41:06 AM
vonbuck

Charlie went in with the wrong attitude,
He used the I just want to promote the theremin, and did a dusty old classical number.
You need to go in and..
"why are you here"
"I want to win a million dollars" and play something the judges can relate to.
Of course you probably will still still get
"why bother?"
Andy

Oh yeah, for the heck of it I applied, so maybe I'll get a cance to see if that works.
Posted: 2/1/2008 3:25:04 PM
vonbuck

Last year for the Next Great American Band, or whatever it was called. I forget, they showed a few seconds of Shueh-li Ong.
She performed her version of Good Vibrations.
The judges said something along the lines of that sound scares me.

Andy
Posted: 2/2/2008 11:00:44 AM
Charlie D

I got past the preliminary round, to play infront of the actual TV judges. Obviously, they have to decide who's going through before they actually start shooting, and having read 'Chart Throb', I suspect they just hoped I'd make a fool out of myself, burst into tears, and provide them with 10 seconds or so of useable material.

Unfortunately for them, I did none of these things. The audience clapped for a bit, I chatted with the judges, and they sent me off. I did however get to tell Simon Cowell that 'Music's about more than just selling records'. . . to which he replied 'I beg to differ'. Piers Morgan said he thought it was fascinating, Amanda Holden looked like she'd been told what to do by Simon, and said nothing.

In the end they showed me playing for less than a second, in the holding area, there was no description, and I don't even think they used any audio. It wasn't terrible enough to show, yet there wasn't enough agro or storyline to make it good.

The only way to get a theremin shown on the show, other than just as an 'in and out' timewaster for the show would be to play absolutely terribly, but think you're IT.
Posted: 2/2/2008 12:06:38 PM
vonbuck

well playing terrible shouldn't be too hard, it comes naturally

Andy

PS, I fully expect to make a fool of myself and run off crying. An over 6 foot tall, 290 pound old guy crying always makes for good TV,

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.