Name that tune?

Posted: 9/6/2010 11:17:22 AM
Jason

[img]http://www.thereminworld.com/pics/news/namethattune.jpg[/img]

Looks like some kind of "Name That Tune" thing going on with this Russian TV show. Can anyone translate a bit of this video so we can tell what's going on for sure? There are 2 videos posted to YouTube that I've found from this show. I really like this concept!

Àëåíà Àïèíà èãðàåò íà òåðìèíâîêñå çíà÷èòåëüíî ëóø÷å, ÷åì ìíîãèå äðóãèå (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_ljh-_DyY&feature=channel)

Äìèòðèé Ôîìèí çàìå÷àòåëüíî èãðàåò íà òåðìèíâîêñå (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgagFmfidc&feature=channel)
Posted: 9/6/2010 11:18:01 AM
Jason

Hmm... looks like the Russian text didn't save properly. Guess I'll have to fix that bug in the website :) Still, the videos are fun to watch.
Posted: 9/6/2010 2:28:01 PM
Thomas Grillo

An online tranlation site shows the first title as:
Alain Apina many other things plays òåðìèíâîêñå significantly ëóø÷å, than

The second title translates as:

Dmitry Fomin it is wonderful plays òåðìèíâîêñå

Mind you, these tranlation sites can be a bit dodgey at best. :)

Tobad I don't know Russian to translate the video dialogue.
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:27 AM
dr lobotomy

I speak a bit of Russian and yes it is a Name That Tune type game. The programme's called "A Good Joke".
The presenter tells the first contestant her time has started and the first song she attempts (the title is revealed on the screen in Russian, I'd never have guessed from listening to it!) is the well known Russian song Ochi Chyornye (Black Eyes). One of the presenters guesses "Moscow Nights" but they eventually guess correctly. The second song she plays IS Moscow Nights (which Lydia plays on the etherwave DVD)and they eventually get this too.
It's fun, but I can't help feeling the theremin deserves a bit more dignity! It reminds me of the BBC radio show I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue where they do something similar with kazoo and swanee whistle.
Posted: 9/9/2010 7:01:55 AM
coalport

I have used the "Name That Tune" concept to generate interest for theremin presentations and demonstrations. Once you have explained the instrument and shown how it works, you offer a dollar to anyone who can get up and play a recognizable tune.

If nobody volunteers, you go into your audience and choose someone yourself. Once the first person has tried it, subsequent volunteers will be less timid.

It can be a lot of fun but you need to control the goings-on. Make sure the contestant tells you what the melody is before hand (he or she can whisper it to you so no one else hears) and then the audience can call out titles.

Each person has a maximum of ONE MINUTE to play. You don't want to give anyone so much time that they actually begin to get the hang of the instrument.

Make sure you have a pocket full of silver dollars.

Posted: 9/9/2010 7:20:53 AM
GordonC

Should it not be "Maim That Tune"?

Posted: 9/9/2010 8:59:58 AM
Thomas Grillo

Coalport, Thanks for the tips on audience participation with the theremin.

Gordon, I love it. "maim that tune" LOL ;)
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:02:48 PM
coalport

You can only hope that the participants maim that tune sufficiently so that you don't end up losing too much money!
Posted: 9/9/2010 2:04:32 PM
Thomas Grillo

Indeed. LOL. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.