elbow

Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:59 PM
omhoge

Thinking of an eventual FAQ matrix of Theremin technique.
One Q might be:
Where do you hold your elbow?
up high like a violinist's bowing arm;
half way up and forward like a knight holding a shield;
touching your side like a dart thrower;
or somewhere in between.

(This is sometimes mentioned within larger posts on technique. I was hoping we might be able to distill single aspects like stance, elbow position, palm orientation, etc. from folks to help Jason towards the FAQ goal.)
Posted: 1/13/2006 10:46:33 PM
kkissinger

Well, Mr. Omhoge, looks like I am posting answers to all your questions. We both share in interest in Theremin technique... anyway, hope some others will post replies so that you do not get tired of reading mine!

Now... regarding the elbow...

I hold my elbow in a relaxed position as if an imaginary string is attached to it gently pulling it downwards. The elbow really becomes the base for my forearm... indeed my elbow is supporting the weight of my forearm.

Except for reaching for the high notes, I relax my arm from shoulder to elbow -- don't want to become tired from holding my arm up for hours on end.
Posted: 1/14/2006 5:45:08 PM
Jason

I keep my elbow very close to my body when I play. I figure when you're playing, you want to move as little as possible to stay in the best control of your notes. With your elbow out to the side, you're adding another dimension of motion to control (at your shoulder). With your elbow by your side, you're primarily just moving on one axis - between your body and the antenna.

That's not a great description, but I hope you get the idea :)
Posted: 5/6/2006 10:03:25 AM
rupert

i generally keep my elbow just about midway between my wrist and shoulder.

/the more you think, the less well you play
Posted: 5/6/2006 3:01:04 PM
kkissinger

Haha -- Rupert, I just got it! (Sometimes it takes me awhile to catch on)

:)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.