Performance art...

Posted: 8/22/2006 5:52:34 AM
Charlie D

It's art because *others* say so. The artist's opinion as to what their art means is no more important that the opinion of anyone else.

The highest art reveals the art and conceals the artist, and yet the artist (being forced to use an imperfect medium) is doomed to reveal themself as opposed to the subject.

When it comes to analysing this particular artpiece, one confronts a veritable dilemma: either reject cultural situationism or draw the conclusion that the musical interplay of the bicycle may be used to oppress the proletariat, but only if realism is invalid; if that is not the case, narrative must come from the individual - the freudian slave who we see toiling perpetually at this bicycle, set against the backdrop of a white Debordist infinity.
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:07:43 AM
GordonC

... and from a Freudian viewpoint the artist reveals himself as impotent.

The white bicycle represents a prostitute, from the reference to "the village bike - everyone gets a ride", which he appears unable to mount successfully in his desire to make sweet music.

I shall demurely gloss over the episode where he eats his banana, without giving a Freudian interpretation. Surely this is not appropriate for a family audience.

Posted: 8/22/2006 9:20:10 AM
kkissinger

[i]"musical interplay of the bicycle may be used to oppress the proletariat, but only if realism is invalid; if that is not the case, narrative must come from the individual[/i]

Charlie, very well stated!

[i]"... and from a Freudian viewpoint the artist reveals himself as impotent.

The white bicycle represents a prostitute, from the reference to "the village bike - everyone gets a ride", which he appears unable to mount successfully in his desire to make sweet music."[/i]

Very insightful, though to say that the artist is "impotent" seems a bit harsh. I think "inexperienced" is closer to the mark. After all, the artist bounces around frantically for a few minutes then it is all over.

[i]I shall demurely gloss over the episode where he eats his banana, without giving a Freudian interpretation.[/i]

Though, if he rode a banana bike, the work may be subject to a somewhat different interpretation.

[i]Surely this is not appropriate for a family audience.[/i]

Hey, this is a appropriate for any family that has achieved a suitable level of dysfunction.

And don't call me Shirley.
Posted: 8/22/2006 4:37:32 PM
Charlie D

Surely you can't be serious?
Posted: 9/27/2006 2:54:09 AM
Portrait Painting

The guy looks so stressed. I never thought that this detachable and disposable white bike can become a stress reliever. But no thanks; I’d rather spend some time in spa centers than strip off and bike wildly.

Is this video for the purpose of advertising the bike? Or is it to advertise an energy drink?
Posted: 9/28/2006 6:45:25 PM
omhoge

Oh what can I say.
You'll never see me in speedos any more.
But I'll watch a player who can still pull it off.
Give me some ear plugs so I don't get hurt, and I'll enjoy the eye candy as much as the music.

If only they had that kinda set up an New York Sports Club!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.