Playing with looping pedals

Posted: 1/16/2007 6:36:24 PM
Brian R

On the plus side, people interested in the 'Rang (despite its comparatively slow sampling rate) might be able to get one on eBay for less than the current street price of $350--$450:

http://search.ebay.com/boomerang-sampler_W0QQfromZR40

I see one with a "Buy It Now" price of $278, which isn't much more than one would pay for some of the delay pedals we've been talking about.
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:39:21 PM
Brian R

P.S. In terms of hardware, the "Boomerang Plus" is nearly identical to the original "Boomerang"; they differ by only one computer chip and a few switch labels. (So, in 2002, I was able to upgrade my first-generation 'Rang by buying the new chip and writing a few words with a Sharpie pen next to the appropriate switches.)
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:44:49 PM
Brian R

P.P.S. Here's the link for price info on the upgrade to version 2:

http://www.boomerangmusic.com/upgradetover2.htm

But really, even version 1 was a lot of fun to use. As they used to proclaim in their promotional materials, it doesn't just make you sound better; it makes you PLAY better.
Posted: 1/16/2007 6:53:15 PM
Brian R

Bottom line: If you're prepared to install the new components yourself, the upgrade will run you ca. $100--$120 dollars. If you need to ship it to the manufacturer for them to perform the upgrade, that's another $24.

Ergo, for bargain-hunters on eBay, the holy grail would be a Boomerang Plus for $300 or less; the next-best thing would be an older Boomerang for $200 or less.

OK, really, I won't go on about the 'Rang any more.
Posted: 1/16/2007 7:24:18 PM
vonbuck

so Teracaster, do I just send the commision check to you directly, or will they take it off the top?

Andy
Posted: 1/16/2007 9:08:14 PM
Brian R

Hi, Andy--

[b]Directly![/b] Always send me money [b]directly![/b] It's never a mistake to send me money--[b]directly![/b]

Ungrateful bastards at Boomerang have sent me nothing: no commission, no finder's fee, no freebie swag...

Seriously, though, I know whatcha mean... after my last series of posts, it seemed that I really ought to make clear that I have no connection to the company. I just really dig their device.
Posted: 1/16/2007 9:11:34 PM
Brian R

Okay, my VERY last comment about this, really, truly:

I acquired my Boomerang in the fall of 1999. Last year, when I first heard Pamelia Kurstin doing her thing with a looping pedal, my reaction was in two parts:

1) Wow! She's amazing!

2) So why is she using such a ridiculously short loop?
Posted: 1/17/2007 12:25:00 AM
kkissinger

[i]"... why is she using such a ridiculously short loop?"[/i]

Well, only Pamelia Kurstin can answer that question. :)

One issue that comes to mind is a trade off one might consider for live audiences: namely that short loop times allow a faster buildup of the loop effect.

A long loop will allow time for a more involved progression, however risks "losing" the audience as it is being "built up".

There is also a practicality for the Thereminist... namely that the first iteration must be exactly on pitch so that the added tracks will all "fit". A long initial loop, played solo, simply exposes the player to more time in which the pitch can drift.

Short loops seem to be a bit more spontaneous (more easily improvised) than long ones that may demand more memorization prior to the performance.

Anyway, your question is thought-provoking and I have been grappling with the trade-offs between short and long loops.
Posted: 1/17/2007 2:28:34 AM
Alexander

Short loop: The hint is the twin loopers. You make a short loop on one, pass it to the next looper, record it 4/8/16/howevermanytimes on that and record a longer phrase over the top.
Posted: 1/17/2007 9:07:08 AM
unclechristo

I do this with delays too. Set up a chord on a 4sec lexicon delay - when I'm happy with it I let it I let it into my 23sec gigadelay as a nice backdrop.

23secs is quite a long time, especially when improvising

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.