Personal Monitors

Posted: 7/26/2007 3:41:13 PM
cookie888

Hello, not sure that this fits into the Forum Theremin Technique, but can't find a better match. I am looking for opinions on the best Personal Monitor for stage performance. I'd like it to go on a mic stand. I've been playing with my amp set up behind me, and that's OK, but me thinks a monitor would be better. Any opinions... Most appreciated. Cookie
Posted: 7/26/2007 10:36:57 PM
omhoge

I use the little Mackie 5" on a mic stand
right behind my head.
It's not concert hall loud but
enough for very small rooms
and can keep your sound in your ears.
Then line it out from it to a
mixer, amp, house sys. whatever.
hth.
Posted: 7/27/2007 6:24:15 AM
Alexander

Unless you're playing in some right dives, or venues that aren't accustomed to gigs, the in-house PA ought to have some kind of monitoring system available. You just have to know what you want coming out of it. It'll be more hassle for you to lug a big speaker around everywhere for the simple purposes of listening to yourself. If it's really that important that you need your own arrangements, might it be worth investing in a decent set of headphones?
Posted: 7/27/2007 8:44:32 AM
omhoge

It's interesting, have seen several variations.
It also probably depends on what you're playing.
Some thereminists I've know never go direct to the house mix exclusively, others do and use it for surround effects.

Some of us doing "classical" stuff can feel like we're losing track of our theremin line if the only theremin signal is out in front of you and mixed with backing tracks.

For large sound scape pieces, you may be practicing a different kind of listening and the overall house mix may be more important than a pin point on your theremin notes.

You have to look at exactly what you need to keep on track musically for the style you're working in. I hated it when I had to play and simply could not hear the theremin part distinctly in a blasting mix.

And hey, welcome to Theremin World!
Keep us posted how it works out.
Posted: 7/27/2007 10:38:00 AM
kkissinger

The placement of the theremin's monitor is critical for intonation. One of the problems with a floor monitor is that other instruments may be mixed in along with the theremin signal.

To have the monitor on a stand at ear level within a couple of feet is an optimum arrangement. The only signal in the monitor should be the dry theremin signal without fx.

Headphones are ok for practice however I wouldn't recommend that you monitor the theremin through phones while playing with other instruments. Again, the reason is intonation -- the pitch may sound correct in the headphones but will, in reality be a few cents off from everything else.

Other people and I have noticed this peculiarity. I am not sure why this is other than with headphones part of the sound travels via the skull rather than through the air and causes a little difference in perception.

Thus, I am suggesting that the [i]ideal[/i] setup is to have the dry theremin signal in its own monitor that is positioned a couple of feet behind you at ear level.

As far as the choice of monitor, omhoge's suggestion is definately worth a look -- the monitor is self-contained and weighs only around eight pounds.

I use a Mackie SRM450 that is a hefty 45 pounds however it serves as both monitor AND the primary sound source for the theremin. A unit such as the SRM350 might be a better balance between weight and output power.

All the best!

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 8/6/2007 11:07:37 PM
cookie888

Thanks for all the great advise. I am thinking of going with the monitor on a stand right behind my head (seems like the Mackie is a winner). Right now I put my amp behind me and sometimes use the stage monitors. It gets tricky. I like to be sure to hear my notes before the audience does. I think you've all answered my question. You can check out what I'm doing at myspace/wavesauce.

Thanks a bunch,
Cookie

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.