Theremin Harness?

Posted: 9/11/2007 4:25:18 PM
carport888

Something just occurred to me...it seems that Matryomin players get the same amount of control whilst holding their instrument in one hand, and controlling it in another. Perhaps a type of harness can be designed to hook a Theremin to one's waist. This would effectively let the Thereminist move around on stage while playing. If they're into making noise, they can jump, skip, whatever. If they are into melodic playing, this may just give a bit of extra leeway in the way they are standing. Swaying back and forth would not be as big a problem, as the Theremin would sway right there with you. Yes, there would need to be an extension cord following the crazy antics of a noise maker, but I think this may be a way to also gain better control for the melodic player as well. Perhaps even a counter-weight on the back as to not throw of front balance. Opinions? Suggestions?
Posted: 9/11/2007 4:30:24 PM
carport888

...meant to be used with smaller models (B3, EtherWave Standard...) as larger ones (EWPro, RCA...) may not work so well...
Posted: 9/13/2007 8:30:01 AM
DiggyDog

Thanks for clarifying that.

I would love to see osmeone strap on a vintange RCA theremin and prnace around the stage....
Posted: 9/13/2007 9:43:15 AM
Thomas Grillo

Well, I suppose an RCA could be strapped on as a back-pack unit, but seriousely, Carport's got an interesting idea. Burns, and several others make battery powered theremins with built in speakers which could easilly be mounted on a harness simalar to what marching band drummers use. I'd be more inclined to go for a plate style theremin so there'd be less risk of a rod poking you in the eye, or head, but at least you could move around. The only problem, unless you're just doing sound fx, intonation will still be an issue as you move around, and things around you move into, and out of your control zone as you move around. But when you stop moving, that theremin will be locked in with you, so you'd probably have much better intonation as long as the rig was rigid, and stable.
Posted: 9/13/2007 10:24:56 AM
vonbuck

I saw a band a band a few years ago, I can't remember their name, and one of the members had a theremin installed in a Cat in the Hat hat.
Oh yeah, he was wearing it and dancing around the stage.

Andy

I don't thinkit was an RCA

Posted: 9/13/2007 10:40:49 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Andy, how's it going? One thing ond might try, is just for effects, using a hiwatt echo theremin mounted in a harness. It's small enough that it would not get in the way.
Posted: 9/13/2007 11:34:48 AM
carport888

Ooh, what about a backpack that one would wear. The backpack would be the Theremin. The volume loop would be held in one hand, the pitch rod in the other. They would each have a handle and be attached to the backpack via cord. The Thereminist would then use each sort of like an airport handheld metal detector. Anything conductive could then be used to finish the circuit (wall, person, perhaps even the Thereminist themself...). With enough practice, this could be played with great control as well. Would this even be possible, given the nature of the Theremin workings?
Posted: 9/13/2007 11:55:16 AM
Thomas Grillo

Naturally, aereal finger would go right out the window, but it sure might be fun to walk up to the audience with such a rig, and let them become part of the instrument. Just have to make sure they know you're not trying bean them over the head with the pitch rod.
Posted: 9/13/2007 7:11:01 PM
teslatheremin

OMG!
Come on now,Boyz. How many of you fine fellows want to dance, prance and skip onstage with a Theremin attached to your bodies?
Not I ,sir, not I!
The Theremin and it's inherit flitting hand
movements are already subject to dicussion amoung those that 'Know Best What Is Good And Proper'. You want to make this instrument that is finally making a come-back a suspect in the quest for 'Family Values'?
Don't queer the deal.

Good Luck,

teslatheremin
Posted: 9/13/2007 11:19:13 PM
carport888

I created this thread to brainstorm fun alternatives for the Theremin. After all, it's one of the only instruments that I know of that truly IS only limited by our own imagination. I think I understand what you are saying, though, teslatheremin. It sounds like you would rather the Theremin be doomed to oblivion by the general population than flourish as a punchline. However, one can never gauge completely accurately how something will be perceived by others. In fact, I could be perceiving your comments incorrectly...I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

Take the Cello - An instrument held between the legs and gently (or vigorously) stroked with a stick made partly of hair from a horse. That sounds CRAZY!!! Who would take THAT seriously? It's BOUND to only live on as a punchline! "Hey guys, we better scrap this CRAZY Cello invention before we are mocked bitterly. People will think we're a bunch of PERVERTS!"

World Thereminization - Does the end justify the means?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.