Absolute pitch

Posted: 11/7/2007 2:13:54 PM
Thereminator

Hello,

has anybody have any experience with 'absolute pitch power'?
Could it serve me?
I have absolute no musical education.

http://www.absolutepitchpower.com/home.php

Friendly greetings,

Rens
Posted: 11/7/2007 4:35:37 PM
Matts

I have never used it, but you have to pay for this program. There are several links to free ear training exercises under the Learn to play link. One thing that has been helping me ( I just started playing) has been hooking a chromatic tuner to my Theremin so I can learn the physical space between notes and intervals. It has really helped. But that is just my two cents....
Posted: 11/7/2007 6:27:40 PM
omhoge

I was just noticing another in my music magazine
"Perfect Pitch Ear Training Super Course" perfectpitch.com and Jason listed a couple other resources on the Learn to Play (http://www.thereminworld.com/play.asp) page, and somewhere around here he posted a device you can buy to practice with. But I haven't used any so cannot evaluate.

Lately the best approach to practice intonation I've found is what Masami Takeuchi and others use: start with large intervals and work down. Octaves, then octaves and fifths, and fourths, and thirds, sixths, seconds, sevenths, minor thirds and seconds. Then scales and arpeggios. A little bit of that every day helps a lot, more than you might expect.

Just my few cents.
Good luck, keep playing!
Posted: 12/3/2007 5:49:45 PM
timbo227

Absolute/perfect pitch training courses are a scam. There has not been one recorded instance of an adult learning perfect pitch in scientific literature... granted this does not mean that it is not possible or that it hasnt happened, but given the amount of academic research that goes in it, I would bank on the fact that an effective method of teaching perfect pitch to an adult is not to be had...

HOWEVER!

Relative pitch is equally useful, and perhaps even more useful if you ever want to play out of concert tuning. Fortunately relative pitch can be attained with practice. I went from virtually no ear for music to rivaling my friends in thier music undergrads in about 8 months.
For a full version of the completely free shareware program i used go to

www.miles.be

It's called The Functional Ear Trainer it is the best ear training resource out there that I've come accross (others I've tried being sibelius auralia, ars nova musica practica, and the david burgess audio course).

I Recommend you donate to the man who developed it after you feel like you've achieved real results like i did. It is not often you find something something of value offered for free these days and it is a very noble gesture on his part to share his program. He is also very helpful with any questions.

good luck!

Tim
Posted: 12/3/2007 10:08:33 PM
Zsy

I'm just gonna wing it with a ton of practice...
Posted: 12/4/2007 7:46:45 AM
Thereminator

Oke....
Thanks for the link.
I'll have a go with it.

Rens
Posted: 12/4/2007 8:17:24 AM
Thereminator

Oke.....
I have downloaded and installed both programs.
Hitting the start-button does not produce any sound however....
What do I have to do?

Rens
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:42:26 PM
Navrag

My favourite definition of "Perfect Pitch" -

When you throw a banjo into a skip, and you impale an accordian...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.