Don't drink and play theremin...

Posted: 7/15/2009 3:38:37 PM
Thierry

Due to some rather depressing "real life issues" I started an unintended self-experiment: Had some cups of Orvieto (Italian white wine) and some cups of Grappa (Italian pomace schnaps) accompanied by some Espresso before my daily practice session...

+++ I never had such a smooth tone and relaxed vibrato before

--- Serious pitch issues due to stability problems...
Posted: 7/15/2009 3:53:01 PM
virani

ahah, I agree.
It happened to me while playing live. Now, I know I'm keeping the free drinks tickets for after the concerts !!

Posted: 7/15/2009 3:54:17 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]Due to some rather depressing "real life issues"[/i]

Best wishes - hope these get resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

If it is anything related to your spouse / partner not appreciating the effort you are putting in to the Theremin world, I empathize fully.

As for the experiment - With my Theremin at the moment, I dont need to wobble to get a wobble... 8-( .. I think perhaps it got depressed over how long I am taking to sort it out, and took to the bottle!

Best regards.
Fred.
Posted: 7/15/2009 5:56:07 PM
GordonC

Thierry, I look forward to your dissertation.

[i]The Effects Of Various Psychoactive Drugs On Theremin Playing[/i]

(Nicotine, caffine, alcohol ...and... theobromine?)
Posted: 7/15/2009 9:32:43 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thierry, I also can relate to this.

I hope things get better for you soon.

As for alcohol, and theremins, well,
I just tell the audience, the more of those you drink, the more amazing this thing sounds. :)
Posted: 7/15/2009 11:25:42 PM
dae23

Ahh...

I recall the first time I discovered the fact that you can't get away with having a few drinks and playing the theremin like you can other instuments.

I don't imagine there will be too many rock and roll overdoses by theremin virtuosos anytime soon.
Posted: 7/15/2009 11:33:06 PM
dae23

Given the right set of circumstances, the theremin could be the road to sobriety.

"If you don't stop drinking, you'll never master this truly unique and esoteric instrument".
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:14:22 AM
Thomas Grillo

Dae23, I agree on both accounts.

I've actually witnessed a professional thereminist, (wasn't me), who shall remain nameless, suffer the effects of 4 glasses of alcohol during a live concert.

Intonation just went right out the window.

Nope, just can't consume alcohol at the theremin til after the performance.
Posted: 7/16/2009 9:24:01 AM
ExclamPt

As a theremin "experimenter," I can vouch for the fact that smoking a bowl will not improve your playing, but it sure sounds better.
Posted: 7/16/2009 7:51:45 PM
coalport

Back in the early 80's I played an entire concert stoned out of my gourd on coke. I was on tour, we arrived late at the venue (which was a hockey arena), we had no time for a sound check of any kind and I was so tired I didn't think I could even get out onto the stage.

The sound guy suggested I do a line or two of coke (something that is always on hand in larger towns and cities) - SO I DID.

What a concert that was! I sailed through the whole thing and I was FABULOUS. After the event, I told the sound guy (who we affectionately called "Uncle Dad") that it was possibly the best concert I had ever given.

"Really," replied Uncle Dad, "I think you'd better wait until you have heard the recording I made of it." (U.D. had a habit of taping every concert we did).

It was TERRIBLE! But thanks to the coke, I had no idea how bad I was. In the cold light of the following morning I was amazed at how totally "out of it" I must have been.

I never did THAT again!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.