"RCA effect" sound box?...

Posted: 2/26/2010 12:51:08 AM
callmemario1

Would any of you theremin players out there know of a sound box I could plug in my theremin to make it sound more like THE RCA Theremin?...or the Moog Etherewave Pro?.

If so, please tell me which unit I should get and where.

Thank you very much for your help!

Mario
Posted: 2/26/2010 7:30:23 AM
coalport

Mario, there is an expression in English: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

C'est equivalent, en francais, de l'expression suivante: "On ne peut pas tirer de la farine d'un sac de son."

You will never get an RCA sound from an Etherwave theremin because these instruments each produce their sound in entirely different ways.

Probably the closest you are going to get is to put your etherwave through a good vacuum tube EQ unit like the TLAudio 5051. I have one of these and it is excellent (and fairly reasonably priced). I think I got mine at STEVE'S MUSIC on St-Antoine.

TLAudio 5051 (http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/product_07/5051.shtml)
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:42:51 AM
callmemario1

Hi coalport,

Merci pour l'information!

As they say also: "You get what you pay for!". As I am sure, nothing can replace an original RCA unit. Also thanks for the TL audio EQ unit reference. I did not check the price on that one but judging by it's looks, I might as well get an RCA! ;-)

I think I will content myself with trying out various parameters on my amplifier.

Thanks again!

Mario
Posted: 2/26/2010 12:00:33 PM
djpb_designs

This does present an interesting challenge ... unfortunately not one I could take on.

Amp modeling techniques sample the sound of some given setup of vintage gear, then use DSP algorithms to extrapolate parameters to use in an effects processor.

Conceivably someone could do that with an RCA theremin.

Don
Posted: 2/26/2010 6:50:00 PM
callmemario1

Concerning the TL audio 5051...on second thought and after reading a bit about this unit since you gave me the reference. It does seem like an interesting possible alternative to the long gone RCA. (R.I.P! ;-) Afterall coalport, you own one and you seem to be satisfied.

Hmmm...I'll keep it in "the back burner"
Posted: 2/26/2010 10:00:41 PM
Jeff S

Many years ago, coalport made a short audio file comparing the un-altered sound of his old Etherwave with the EW run thru his TL Audio 5051.

The difference is quite striking.

Posted: 2/27/2010 9:50:41 AM
callmemario1

Hi Jeff S!

Yes, I would certainly like that!.

Thanks for the thought. :-)

Mario

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.