Hand and Finger size - just an observation

Posted: 1/4/2011 9:43:35 PM
Amethyste

AlKhwarizm - Thank you for your input - I have much to learn as I just got this wonderful Theremin for Christmas :) I'll be looking into your suggestion :)

Coalport - I received your video - and I have watched it TWICE in 2 days - each time, I learn more, so over the next weekend, I'll watch again :) you give a lot of wonderful information, my only gripe is the camera angle. per exampe, when you show the aerial finger placement - we are only seeing the angle from the front it would have been helpful to see a side view to really get more details on the positioning. But aside that, you are so pleasant to watch, caught myself smile several times - you are just a gem to watch! Must be the Canadian in you :) I miss Montreal ( I was born and lived there most of my life )!

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you for always taking the time to answer questions - I REALLY appreciate that! That really tells me that even though you must be super busy with your professional life ( practicing the Theremin takes a large portion of your time I assume ;) to take the time to answer myriads of questions speaks volume of someone's enthrallment with such instrument as the Theremin. THank you again, your input ( and all of the members for that matter ) is highly valuable!

:)
Posted: 1/4/2011 11:23:37 PM
Jeff S

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! LOL (Just kidding.)

Yes, you can adjust the pitch field to match any hand no matter how small. However, there IS a point of diminishing returns.

As, I mentioned before, if the note spacing is too small, control will be extremely difficult if not impossible. Accuracy will suffer as will your ability to play a pleasing vibrato.

True,...most of the views of Peter's hands on his DVD are not ideal. Luckily, he has many more video's on youtbe as I'm sure you're aware. They're all under the name "copperleaves".
Posted: 1/5/2011 12:11:36 AM
Amethyste

Hey Jeff!!!
I just finished my practice - it's amazing how fast 45 mins can go near a Theremin *smile*. I did change the pitchfield to a wider space and it made my practice tonight much more pleasant... I did practice using the 1-2-3 positions as suggested by Coalport. It did facilitate my progressions in the scales... But... Oye! I am somewhat decent going up in the scales but going down, I am fumbling! Not just fingering placement-wise but pitch wise! It's horrible! lol, trying to find the pitch on the theremin made my singing off-key! Darn you, Coalport, when you said "Then you will find yourself being a singer singing offkey", you knew it lol. How did you see in the crystal ball of my future? ha!

Jeff and coalport - do you both have a facebook page? I'd like to have you as friends on there if possible :)

Wishing everyone a great night! :)
Posted: 1/5/2011 5:40:18 AM
AlKhwarizmi

Nice, I would have thought that small hands would work better with a small field and the same hand positions but it is good to know otherwise.
Posted: 1/5/2011 8:17:43 AM
coalport

Amethyste wrote:
Darn you, Coalport, when you said "Then you will find yourself being a singer singing offkey", you knew it lol. How did you see in the crystal ball of my future? ha!

I didn't need a crystal ball because I've BEEN THERE.

Glad you received the DVD and that you are getting something out of it. Yes, I agree with you about the camera angles but I have a lot of vids on YT that should make up for that.

You may find that playing from high to low is a little more difficult than playing from low to high. I have found this and I know many others have as well. There is a different muscle set involved with the action and a few million years of human evolution has given us better accuracy in advancing the arm than in puling it back toward the body.

Of course, if you are one of those good people who doesn't believe in evolution and thinks the earth is 10,000 years old, you can blame it all on Baby Jesus.
Posted: 1/5/2011 10:05:06 AM
Amethyste

I'll blame it on my parents weird gene pool - they are no longer here so they cannot quack back at me ;)

Coalport - I will be viewing your YT videos tonight to get a better perspective of your hands. Hmmm that sounded weird. I will look for your fingers movement rather lol.

Thank you for all for sharing your knowledge with me!
Posted: 1/5/2011 11:54:43 AM
GordonC

Amethyste, if you're looking for thereminists on Facebook, you could have a glance down my list of theremin playing friends...

clicky (http://www.facebook.com/gordon.charlton?sk=friends&v=friends&lfilter=fl_274689111318)
Posted: 1/5/2011 12:32:21 PM
Amethyste

Gordon -
I'll have to look at your linky tonight - as my lame work will not allow any social sites on their time. However, I am quite surprised that I am able to go to TW!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.