How do you make the best out of your Practice?

Posted: 1/5/2011 10:08:52 AM
Amethyste

I practice ascending scales, descending scales, vibrato on long notes, volume control on all the above... But when it comes to "work" on a piece, do you pick ONE piece and play it until you "master" it? I am curious as to know if anyone of you has some sort of practice "ritual" that goes along with the Theremin. Voodoo dools acceptable!
Posted: 1/5/2011 2:54:18 PM
Thierry

Scales are ok, but not all... Intervals are also important. Here a simple exercise which you may transpose, all within a virtual octave C-c for easy pitch control:
C-E-c-E-C-D-F-c-F-D-C-E-G-c-G-E-C-F-A-c-A-F-C-G-B-c-B-G-C

A scale with only entire tone steps:
C-D-E-F#-G#-A#-c-A#-G#-F#-E-D-C (excellent for ear training, is your c really an octave above the C?)

Two scales with alternating half and full tone steps (my preferred pitch sense f...ing exercise):
1) C-D-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bbb-B-c-B-Bbb-Ab-Gb-F-Eb-D-C
2) C-C#-D#-E-F#-G-A-A#-c-A#-A-G-F#-E-D#-C#-C
Posted: 1/5/2011 8:12:17 PM
Jeff S

Here's another source of practice material. (http://www.electrotheremin.com/Method.pdf)
Posted: 1/6/2011 7:22:14 PM
coalport

Amethyste,

You and I both know that you are not going to play scales and practice arpeggios. Play the melodies of the music - pop or classical - that you enjoy. That's probably what you are already doing anyway.

Clara's METHOD FOR THEREMIN, with the exception of the little bits of written advice she gives at the beginning and the end of it, is not really very useful. She never would have written it at all if Robert Moog hadn't insisted that she do it.

Posted: 1/6/2011 10:27:56 PM
Amethyste

Coalport - I AM ROLLING ON THE FLOOR DYING OF LAUGHTER HERE!!!!

Yup, that's what I am doing anyways. How did you know that?! LOL. You really DO understand the kind of person that I am. We are probably similar in many ways... I am more of a hands on type of gal. ;) That's how I learn best.

Well... My theremin is calling - I must go :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.