Dalit Warshaw's fingering...

Posted: 4/12/2011 9:56:35 PM
Amethyste

So... I took some time to listen and watch Dalit Warshaw. And hummm I think her technique is very different than all of the other thereminists I have seen/watched.

Her 3 bottom fingers control the vibrato while the index and the thumb remain in contact while the others create the vibrato... But then when she moves into a different passage she opens her middle and index fingers to the aerial place where she should be, then bend back the fingers in the position i talked about above. I also noticed that she never fully extends her fingers either...

What do you all think of this method? It is sure interesting!
Posted: 4/13/2011 8:32:14 AM
coalport

The most important thing about a theremin technique, whatever it may be, is that the person using it be satisfied with it. There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to play the instrument, and you're not competing with anyone but yourself.

From the point of view of control, however, there are more efficient and less efficient ways to play. The more control you have, and the more you use it to add variety and passion to your playing, the more interesting your music will be. We have very few resources when it come to the theremin, so we need to use everything that is available to us. Unlike players of traditional instruments who can change the timbre of their sound through bowing technique, breath control, finger placement, etc., thereminists are stuck with a tone that cannot change color. Once we have chosen our timbre settings, we're stuck with them for the duration of the piece we are playing. We have only volume and pitch with which to communicate whatever it is we have to say musically. How we use these two resources will be determined by our own sense of phrasing, vibrato, expression, etc.

One way to increase control and precision in theremin playing, is to spread the tasks of intonation and vibrato (the two jobs of the pitch arm/hand) among as many muscle groups as possible. This will give the player greater stamina and allow for more subtle shading of the sound. Essentially we have biceps, triceps and finger extension to work with. Clara Rockmore played vibrato using a back and forth motion of the forearm while intonation was done with extensions of the fingers. Dalit Warshaw takes the opposite approach. She plays vibrato with extensions of the fingers (called the "finger wiggle") and accomplishes intonation with the forearm. She frequently adds definition to her intonation with a technique I have not seen anywhere else, a "rabbit ear" popping up & snapping shut of her index and middle fingers. I would be extremely surprised if this was a method that Clara Rockmore taught her!

The question here is: Is this the best way to play the theremin for maximum control? I would say probably not. The more difficult the melody is that you are trying to play, the greater will be the disadvantage imposed by this technique. This is the problem with all the various methods that people have arrived at by default. They seem to work beautifully for the beginner playing fairly simple pieces. It's not until you attack much more difficult compositions that you hit the invisible wall. I have often compared this to a two-fingered typist who uses only the index of each hand. It works. And some people use it with surprising speed - but they're never going to win the typing contest!

I just listened to my own recording of the Faure PIE JESU with the intention of posting it for comparison. I recorded it about ten years ago around the same time as I did the Julian Lloyd Webber PIE JESU. Unfortunately it's a piece of shit. What the hell was I thinking?!
Posted: 4/13/2011 9:32:07 AM
Amethyste

Coalport - :)

You are always sooooo hard on yourself! My best ever piece will never reach your (self-judged) worst piece! At least when you listen to what you did 10 years ago, and what you can do now, you hear maturity and progression into the art of your mastering your instrument. I like to hear your recordings, weather they are 15 - 10 yr or 1 minute old :) You have this great ability to reach people deep inside. I think you'd be able to do this even with a rubbermaid plastic garbage can and maracas :)

The reason why I was kind of dumbfounded when I saw her technique is, when I got my Etherewave at the end of December - I got it all plugged in and when I started "playing" with it, that is the first thing I did. I wiggled my fingers to create a vibrato rather than my hand. With my carpal tunnel acting up once in a while, extending my fingers all the way when I play can be challenging. I might "try" and see how this method could work for me... My intention is to be proficient at the Theremin. I am not going to tour nor even recording CDs (other than singing). Perhaps a youtube video here and there, but probably not much more than that :)

Anyways, thanks sgain for your reply, Coalport. Always appreciated :)
Posted: 4/13/2011 1:27:30 PM
Amethyste

HmmmmMMMMmmm.... She teaches at the Boston Conservatory. MAYBE - and this a BIG maybe, she'd be interested into teaching private Theremin Lessons? I am only 45 mins away, that wouldn't be a bad commute!

Haha... She's probably too busy anyways. Nice thought though!
Posted: 4/14/2011 1:06:21 AM
Jeff S

Hey...you don't know until you ask.

Who knows...at the very least you might be able to spend an afternoon and possibly even play Clara's theremin. Wouldn't THAT be a treat?!!!
Posted: 4/14/2011 6:28:53 AM
coalport

There's a down side to owning Clara's theremin. People who are familiar with Clara's work are naturally going to compare anything they hear you play on the instrument with Clara's recordings (particularly if you are playing the same repertoire). It's not fair, but that's what they will do. Of course, emphasizing that it is Clara's instrument that you are playing, and pointing out that you were a student of hers, is going to encourage comparisons.

With Dalit, it is important to look at the complete musician, and not just Dalit the thereminist. Clara Rockmore was a thereminist and gave all her energy and attention to one instrument. Dalit is an excellent pianist and composer as well as a thereminist. BTW, I heartily recommend her recent CD, "INVOCATIONS" on Albany Records.
Posted: 4/14/2011 7:15:31 AM
Amethyste

Coalport -

"I just listened to my own recording of the Faure PIE JESU with the intention of posting it for comparison. I recorded it about ten years ago around the same time as I did the Julian Lloyd Webber PIE JESU. Unfortunately it's a piece of shit. What the hell was I thinking?!"

Well, I would loooooooooooove to hear your decade old recording :) Not with judging ears, but with my heart :) Would you be willing to share with us? :)

*batting my eyelashes at you* <-- That has never got me anywhere anyway, but thought I'd try one more time :)
Posted: 4/14/2011 10:03:11 AM
Amethyste

Hmmm... I am completely fascinated by her presence when she play the Theremin. How her volume hand is so graceful, and her pitch hand is fascinating to watch. She is herself and have crafted her own style ( one that at least work! ) - and that is refreshing to see!

One thing that Yoga teaches pupils is to gaze into the horizon when you do standing poses - so watching her doing just that when she plays really adds to the whole cachet of her playing. I really enjoyed watching her videos and hoping I could too, be a good thereminist in my life ( for the short period I have left over anyways :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.