Oh my Lord! My knees!! :(

Posted: 7/27/2011 9:40:00 AM
Amethyste

:(
My knees are pretty achy when I am done with my practice session (usually around 90 mins or so). With the Theremin I have, I can't really sit down to play it, so I have to find a solution that will help me achieve a good session while not feeling decrepit when I am done!

I wear good shoes - but lately, I've been taking them off 1/2 way through to gain some relief, but that works only for a little while. I have a pretty comfortable carpet, but perhaps I should get an anti-fatigue mat or something to stand on?

Maybe I'll do some knee exercises in every 15 mins or so to help out...

Do you all have a suggestion, or it's just a natural part of getting older (Which I really don't like!!!) ? I started to take Glucosamine and see if that would help, but it's still too early to determine if it's working yet.

Posted: 7/27/2011 7:03:53 PM
hypergolic

Try a different stance, something like Peter recommends. He uses a taekwondo stance of sorts, with the forward leg matching the pitch arm.

Do you walk every day? Do you do any other leg exercises like Yoga?

Philip
Posted: 7/27/2011 10:02:33 PM
Jeff S

Actually, Peter uses a Tai Chi stance.

Don't ask me about knees. I just tore the cartilage in my right knee. :(
Posted: 7/28/2011 8:50:16 AM
Amethyste

Yah, I walk almost every day (weather permitting) and I do yoga lol.

This morning, it wasn't bad at all. Maybe it's weather related,when really humid, it hurts a bit.

The Taichi stance is hard for me to do somehow... I might need to work on that more...
Posted: 7/28/2011 1:43:01 PM
coalport

Amey, It might be possible to adjust the height of your Wavefront so that you can sit on a stool while playing. This takes the stress off the lower body. Lots of good players do this. The problem with any kind of pain when you play the theremin is that it will show up in the music. Remember, the theremin is transparent.

Glucosamine is a great remedy provided the pain you are experiencing is arthritis related. As you know, it is a joint lubricator. It is also a form of sugar. You may have to take it for weeks before reaping the benefits of it. (I take it every morning with my breakfast cereal and have for a long time). Yeah, advancing old age is great fun!
Posted: 7/28/2011 3:50:03 PM
Amethyste

Coalport,
This morning, I practiced and it wasn't too too bad, Actually, I think it might be getting better. Maybe it's the placebo effect, who knows :P But, I think I can do knee bends every 15 mins or so... Only recently that I have been doing more practice, so that means more standing. I do about 1 hour in the morning and 90 mins at night... And of course, my day job, I amass calluses on my derriere... But in the mean time, I'll start thinking about sitting position for the days that I would need it...

How long did it take for the Glucosamine to take effect for you? I am pretty certain that the pain I am feeling is due to an early arthritis onset. Hopefully, it will also help me...

Posted: 7/29/2011 6:12:51 AM
coalport

Provided that glucosamine is something your particular condition will respond to, it can take quite a long time to have an effect - anywhere from one to three months. In the meantime, you can take an analgesic to handle the symptoms. As I'm sure you know, one of the inconveniences of natural remedies is that they usually don't work overnight like most prescription drugs. I've been taking glucosamine (2000 mg daily) for years.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.