Would you like some theremin with your Slyders?

Posted: 2/17/2007 1:43:34 PM
Jon B

As some of you know, there's a video of me on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-3lU3bgOgE) playing "Video Killed The Radio Star" on the theremin that's been up for nearly a year. In fact, Jason shot it. Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, several people left me messages via youtube informing me that a casting agent in Los Angeles was looking for me! One of the message writers forwarded me the casting call from a popular LA casting website. It read as follows:

[i]Theremin Musician - White Castle - Commercial - SAG Scale - SAG - 2/1/2007
/ Male or Female / All Ethnicities / 27 - 45
Must be an actual Theremin player, and be able to bring your instrument with you. Anyone who knows the guy, (and how to reach him) on YouTube playing Video Killed the Radio Star, please call us![/i]

My jaw hit the floor! I got in touch with the casting agent who emailed me a 30 second script. A friend videotaped me, and I FexExed them the tape. They loved it! Approvals from all the various parties finally came through day-before-yesterday (Thursday). On Sunday (tomorrow!), I fly to LA, all expenses paid, for two days of planning and shooting. I return to Boston on Wednesday. It's an SAG gig, so there's some serious money involved, which is a nice bonus. :)

The content of the ad is simple: A guy says he likes White Castle so much, he wrote a song about it. He then plays theremin and sings a song about Slyders (http://www.whitecastle.com) (White Castle's tiny greasy burgers). For the audition tape, I went with a bluesy "I'm a Man" style call and response between my theremin and my voice. It's unclear what I'll be doing musically in the ad. They seem to want something melodic, but that also shows off the wackiness of the instrument. If I do end up contributing to the songwriting, yes, I'll be certain to demand credit (i.e. royalties).

I'm very excited about the whole thing. I'll be sure and report back with my experiences, if not during, then definitely after it's all over.
Posted: 2/18/2007 10:02:17 AM
Brian R

Congratulations, Jon! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Who knows? Maybe this could start a trend for television ads featuring theremin... or at the very least, theremin ringtones for cell phones. :-/
Posted: 2/28/2007 8:57:51 PM
Jon B

I wrote up an account of my experience in LA last week filming the White Castle commercial. It's way too long to post in this forum, but you can get all the juicy details here (http://www.wobblymusic.com/blog/category/white-castle).

As is the custom with blogs, you'll need to start by scrolling to the bottom and working your way up the page.

Enjoy!

~Jon
Posted: 2/28/2007 9:12:49 PM
Jason

How cool Jon! Congratulations! I can't wait to see the commercial. Do you know if it will be online? Remember.. this is how Jason Alexander got his start (singing in the McDLT commercial).

But seriously - what a great experience. I just read through your series of blog posts. Sounds like you had a fun group of people to work with!
Posted: 2/28/2007 10:06:10 PM
Jon B

They're supposed to send me a copy of the spot when it's done (in a few weeks). I'll make sure it's viewable somewhere.
Posted: 3/1/2007 11:52:52 AM
kkissinger

Jon,

Cool story. Congratulations to you.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 3/1/2007 3:59:36 PM
DiggyDog

That's great.

Another victory for World Thereminization!
Posted: 3/2/2007 1:54:42 PM
DiggyDog

Can I assume that you will let us know when the spot airs?

Also, is it going to be regional or national?
Posted: 3/3/2007 3:31:39 PM
Jon B

If I find out ahead of time when & where the spot is airing, I will definitely let people know.

I assume it will be broadcast regionally, since White Castle restaurants are only in NY, NJ, and the Midwest.
Posted: 3/3/2007 4:24:51 PM
buddy_craigg

alas, there are no more WCs in Kansas City. :(

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.