Theremin featuerd in BBC Radio Two's "Friday night is Music Night".

Posted: 11/1/2008 8:27:54 AM
Thereminstrel

On October 31st, the theremin was featured in BBC Radio Two's "Friday night is Music Night".

For almost as long as I can remember I've listened to this concert every Friday evening ... and last night, at the start, the host announced that the programme would include performances by thereminist Celia Sheen. Perhaps owing to the date, all the music had a theme of "Murder, Mystery & Suspense". Celia Sheen played two pieces: the first, the theme from Hitchcock's "Spellbound" at the end of the first half; the second, the theme from TV's "Midsommer Murders" about two thirds of the way through the second half. Both very enjoyable. The host also included some information about the theremin and its history - although this was very brief and, inevitably, not entirely accurate (ie as used by Beach Boys in "Good Vibrations").

You should be able to hear the concert for the next week or so at the BBC Radio Two website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/fridaynight/

On this page you should be able to click to see the list of music played, or click to hear the entire programme in a pop-up player, (you can usually skip to specific bits if desired).
Posted: 11/3/2008 9:06:47 AM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I could have caught that show. I was out on a gig.
Posted: 11/3/2008 12:16:57 PM
GordonC

You can still hear it at the website thereminstrel mentioned. The link is on the right hand side - "Hear the show" - just underneath "Listen Again."

Playback does not appear to be restricted to the UK (some BBC content is) - I visited the site via a Stateside proxy (a handy way to access content restricted to the US) and it worked fine.

Posted: 11/3/2008 4:54:09 PM
Thierry

Listened to it. Very deceiving. In Carolina Eyck's Spellbound version is much more theremin to hear than in the Celia Sheen version... :-(
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:20:30 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Gordon, thanks for the heads-up on the link.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.