Roll call!

Posted: 3/2/2005 1:01:12 PM
Jason

Now that we have all these new registered users, I thought it'd be nice to get to know each other a bit more. I'll start things off:

Hey y'all. I'm Jason Barile, and I run Thereminworld.com. The theremin discovered me while I was in college: Pere Ubu was opening for They Might Be Giants, and the lead singer held a theremin out over the front row of the audience so they could "play" along during the song. I was hooked! I started "The Theremin Home Page" back then and it's evolved over the past 8 years or so into what Thereminworld is today.

I'm the proud owner of an original Etherwave, signature series Etherwave #007, and Ethervox #10. I don't get to practice playing as much as I'd like (or need to), but who does? ;)

I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the 1997 Theremin Festival in Portland, Maine, where I presented a theremin-playing robot I helped build in grad school. I also got to meet and perform with Lydia Kavina on stage then, and again in 2003 at a Russian music festival in Seattle. That's about it for my professional playing experience, but who knows what the future holds?

Aside from running this site in my spare time, I'm a software test manager at Microsoft. I used to work on the Windows Shell, and now I work on developer tools. You can read about my work life here: http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonba.

I live in Apex, NC - just about 3 hours from Asheville and Moog Music. I have a wife, 2 year old twins, a dog (named after Willie Nelson), and a cat.

I'm a theremin addict.

Who's next?
Posted: 3/2/2005 3:44:40 PM
DiggyDog

I have been in love with the theremin since I was in grade school. I can't remember when I saw my first one but I do know it was an RCA model and it was on TV.

The first time I played one was in a local museum. It has two metal hands for antennae and it is still there.

I have had my Etherwave for about 2 and a half years and I am just now getting where I can sort of play some melodies on it.

I play in a few bands but only play the theremin with Barnyard, where I also play bass and sampled sound effects.

I have a German wife who thinks my fascination with "that strange machine" is a little odd and a 6-year-old who likes to make noise with it as well.

I gues that about covers it for now....

Posted: 3/2/2005 4:22:27 PM
ThereMan

my name is nick tallidis and im from chicago illinois...im 17 and a junior in high school, i have been a theremin lover for a few years and ive been an owner for about a year. it started as a search for vintage moog products which led me to the theremin. i play in one band but jam with a lotta people(in a school where everyone plays guitar an electronic musician is quite popular). my main musical influences are late sixties early 70s glam and punk bands but my taste has very few limits. next year i am planning to go to college and study journalism and hopefully keep playing the theremin. i guess thats all about me for now
Posted: 3/2/2005 5:22:35 PM
Cortex 007

I'm Tony
I've been playing about a year (intensely), now on a lefty etherwave pro. I am a professor of neurology and neurosurgery and subspecialize in brain mapping and the surgical treatment of epilepsy. I've been addicted to synths since the 70's and have a vinyl collection that includes Tonto's Expanding Headband, early Synergy, etc..
I'm eternally addicted to Brian Eno and am currently desirous of an easy way to realtime convert audio into midi (I also own an Alesis Micron VA synth). Cheers to the very consistent and very polite host of this site. I've spent alot of time on it and have profited from the experience of others.
Posted: 3/2/2005 5:23:37 PM
Cortex 007

.....and I love PERE UBU too!!
Posted: 3/2/2005 7:13:55 PM
TomFarrell

I'm Tom. I'm a senior web technology consultant in the Boston area. There's a Bush in office, so I'm unemployed. (If anyone needs a web technologist in the Boston area, I'm *really* good.)

I discovered the Theremin a couple years ago when "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey" was on cable, and had an immediate reaction of "I MUST HAVE ONE!" I gave it a few days to see if the feeling would wear off, and it didn't, so I bought an Etherwave.

I practiced for a while with Lydia Kavina's methods, but while I was progressing, it felt awkward and uncomfortable and I found some aspects confusing. When Peter Pringle came out with his DVD, I felt his methods made a lot more sense to me and were more comfortable, but I needed to start over to get it right and I didn't have the energy for that at the time, so I took a break from practice. I'm just getting started again.

I've taken my instrument to several science fiction conventions, including the 2004 World Science Fiction Convention, where I give a talk about the history of the instrument and let guests come up to toy with it. Response is excellent, and hundreds (perhaps thousands - I really lost track at Worldcon) of people have been exposed to the theremin as a result.

A side effect of the conventions is that my Etherwave is now covered with autographs from major science fiction authors and artists. It's very striking, and very personally meaningful to me. It has some space left that I could get a few more autographs on it, but I might drill a couple holes there and put in CV outputs instead, I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, until I'm able to play decently, I do what I can for the Theremin community on the net, which presently includes that I'm building a new Theremin web site oriented toward beginners.
Posted: 3/3/2005 4:53:17 AM
regmtait

Hello, my name is Reg. I work in Hull, UK, as an interactive designer. I've been lurking around Thereminworld for quite a few years and have played theremin in various bands, after stealing the idea from my twin brother John.
I'm now in a band called AGE OF JETS. We released an album called GO GO GADGET POP on Damaged Goods (www.damagedgoods.co.uk) with some theremin in it, and we’re completing on a second one with a lot more. You can get the first one from the Damaged Goods web site, or Amazon. I also did a live thing with the legendary Damo Suzuki from Can a number of weeks ago too which was good fun.
I’ve just posted a ‘sneak preview’ of a new AGE OF JETS song here. It’s got some theremin on the chorus. http://www.ageofjets.co.uk/musicbynumbers.mpg
Hope all that’s not too ‘pluggy’!
Posted: 3/3/2005 4:55:03 AM
regmtait

thats: http://www.ageofjets.co.uk/musicbynumbers.mp3
rather than 'mpg'.
Posted: 3/10/2005 9:32:09 PM
model citizen

Hello, i'm Neil from New Zealand. Have always loved the sound and hands-off approach to the theremin, but for some reason never pursued it until recently.

I play electric and upright bass, guitar, a smattering of keyboards and know my way well around FX pedals, DAWs, electronic instruments and general "non-sensical use of items to produce musical timbres". Have been in a couple of bands, one signing to Sony. Musical styles have run the whole gamut from ambient, dub, pop, rock, metal, noise. Latest offering is more in the Mogwai-vein of wall-of-noise.

Have waited a long, long time for a theremin, mainly due to the cost of them here. Finally with the duo i'm currently "experimenting" with I have the opporunity to introduce a theremin without bandmates looking at me like i've got 3 heads. ;)

Outside of music i'm married (to a smAlbany'er, Cortex!) with 2 liddle kids, work as a senior Unix geek, and build and tune Italian cars (Fiats) and scooters (Vespa, Lambretta).

Can't wait to start waving my hands in the air like I just don't care!
Posted: 3/11/2005 12:17:30 AM
Jay Marsh

I have always been an artist and followed any creative idea that inspired me.1989-'91: Studied Illustration at Ringling School Of Art in Sarasota. '91-'93 Out of school and together with my brother, a wood worker, we followed any creative idea or material that inspired us. '93-'95 Back into illustration I discovered I was more passionate about the flowing backgrounds I was creating than the subject of my illustrations.

'95-Now- Rediscovered my love for painting and that with a clear mental image and excellent reference there were endless possibilities of form that could be represented and explored. I made the choice to paint the "Sensitive Chaos" the flowing forces and forms of nature. June 2003-I moved to Jacksonville from Atlanta to put more focus on my painting.May 2004- Moved back to Atlanta with the passion and drive to
paint like a thunderous firestorm.

I had a dream that I played(badly) a Theremin in front of a crowd.I bought one (Etherwave) the next day.My two brothers are musicians-Bass and drums -hope to form a group that will freak people.
Jay-Marsh.com

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.