So far I hate the theremin.

Posted: 10/24/2006 9:14:50 PM
buddycraigg

After I got caught up with my paperwork around 10:30 this morning I discovered that a band I have listened to for about 25 years has a new album out. So I was reading up on it and it mentioned “It features duet with Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields and an appearance by the amazing Pamelia Kurstin, the world's foremost thereminist!”

So I go what’s a thereminist?
Google it, and it’s someone that plays the theremin.

So what’s a theremin?
Google it.

I spent the next 6 hours letting my work pile up while I read about Barbara Buchholz, Carolina Eyck, and Clara Rockmore.

I’ve been home for about 4 hours, and while I would have already had one car knocked out and probably starting the next one, I’ve accomplished letting the dog out, and the rest of my time has been on youtube.

What is the fascination with the silly little box? It’s like I’ve got OCD or something…
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:18:58 PM
TomFarrell

We regret to inform you that you have been selected by the Theremin to be its new instrumentalist. As you have already reported to Theremin headquarters, you may now purchase a Theremin and begin to be assimilated into the World Thereminization process.

We hope your Theremin journey will be no more stressful or frustrating than usual, and that you'll manage to have some fun in the process.
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:32:28 PM
Jeff S

Welcome to my parlor, said the spider to the fly. Looks like we got another one!

When you figure it out you'll have to let the rest of us know. ;-)

And you didn't even say you've actually HEARD one before you became obsessed.

Now that we have you, there are a few others you need to check out, like Pamelia, Lydia Kavina, Peter Pringle, Dorit Chrysler, Kip Rosser, Charles Richard Lester, Masami Takeuchi, etc...

And of course we can't forget Kansas City's own Kevin Kissinger.
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:44:58 PM
buddycraigg

i'm not sure if i'm drawn to the sound or watching it more.
and there's someone in KC that plays one of these things?
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:59:38 PM
buddycraigg

>TomFarrell
i would never attempt to play one, i gave up on playing my father's guitar 30 years agos after i figured out i could only play if i was sightreading. playing by ear was not an option then. and with fading eye sight and probably a lot less hearing...
well i just think it's probably best left up to the experts.
Posted: 10/24/2006 11:51:48 PM
Jeff S

Yup...

www.kevinkissinger.com

http://www.myspace.com/kkissinger
Posted: 10/25/2006 12:11:01 AM
buddycraigg

>Jeff S
thanks for the links. i already googled him after you mentioned him and have been listening to his stuff all night.
Posted: 10/25/2006 12:16:27 AM
buddycraigg

and for the record, i still haven't spent more than 20 minutes in the garage tonight. because of this silly little box.

i'm a parts guy by day and then work on cars at my home at night, EVERY NIGHT.
this is the first night i can remember not being in my garage for over a year. that would have been when my son was born.
Posted: 10/25/2006 6:20:23 AM
unclechristo

you ought to give the theremin a go. Theremin is heaps easier than guitar - that thing has 6 notes to keep track of and an annoying fretboard that always gets in the way.
Go on - you know you want to...
:-)
Posted: 10/25/2006 9:25:08 AM
buddycraigg

i would rather step on my neighbors cat. (probably get the same sound, but with the cat option i wouldn't feel frustrated)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.