So far I hate the theremin.

Posted: 10/29/2006 1:36:29 AM
buddycraigg

agreed.
i took it again and it still felt like a "simon says' game.

on my third try i got 26 and Polly did it one more time and got 25 again.

at least it's consistent.
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:46:07 AM
TomFarrell

So Gordon, I don't like the test. I got a 28/30, which is exactly what I expected when I got to the end of it. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten a 29 or 30 out of 30, but I know I answered at least one question wrong at the beginning. The problem I have with it is that it presents relatively complex little sequences of notes, so I started out trying to remember all the notes and tell if they'd changed any - if the sequence had changed. Once I realized that the question wasn't "are they the same or different" but rather "are there any sour notes in the second piece", it was obvious that I'd erred on a couple because I knew I hadn't heard any sour notes but I thought the order of the notes had been changed.

So, I don't think the test does a good job of decoupling being a memory test from being a pitch perception test. To test pitch perception, I think it should provide pairs of individual notes which may be the same and may be very subtly different, and use that to determine how different in pitch two notes have to be before you can hear the difference.
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:48:10 AM
buddycraigg

gordon
i'm not trying to push you in front of the bus.

i really appreciate the help
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:52:24 AM
GordonC

Gosh, Tom & Buddy. I didn't think of it as a memory test at all. Just shows how people differ, I guess. Sorry 'bout that.

Yes, buddycraigg, I think there's more than hope. I think we have established that you're certainly not schielenkrahe's lost cause. :-)

And speaking of "Happy Birthday", and how people differ, about five months after I started on the theremin I did a little thing which required me to play along to a recording of Happy Birthday.

After a week's practice I still couldn't do it. It wasn't exactly that I kept hitting sour notes - it was that my hand kept wanting to play entirely different notes, and every time I pulled it back to the right note, [i]then[/i] the note went sour. Which was rather embarrassing, because I had persuaded a bunch of other people to do likewise, and from the recordings they were sending me it was clear no-one else found it that difficult.

Eventually I gave in and just let my hand play the tune it wanted to play. It turned out that it wasn't playing an [i]entirely[/i] different tune, just one that was obliquely related, and that kind of worked with the basic melody.

So I learned an important lesson about trusting my instincts when playing and not trying to force my hands to behave themselves.

Seven months on, and my head and my hands now agree pretty much most of the time about what notes to play. We still prefer to play our own strange sort of music rather than other people's tunes, but I'm confident enough to play Happy Birthday on Tuesday to the toughest critics around - a party of six-year-olds!

Who knows - in a few more years I might even be inclined to have a go at The Flower Duet, but at the moment, for me, it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.

I think my point is - don't sweat it. If you set out with schielenkrahe's very sensible goal of having fun, the rest will fall into place in its own time.
Posted: 10/29/2006 8:20:24 AM
schielenkrahe

Sounds like your sense of pitch, based on your score, is fine. There are a number of very simple exercises you can do to work specifically with pitch issues. They'll seem almost too simple as you read, but they do work.

Though it's a ridiculously obvious thing to say, remember: ANYWHERE you hold your hand STILL will be a pitch -- a note. Mute the volume with your volume hand, move your pitch hand and hold it still, lift up the volume hand, and there's a single note. Repeat for about thirty seconds (which is about the time this step gets boring). but if you begin with this basic step and principle you then...

Every time you lift up, that will now be used as your first note in a scale. Just lift up and do the Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do thing. then...

If you have a piano or other instrument in the house, have someone play a single note. You then find and match that note. Do this a bunch of times.

For an extended pitch experiment use a CD of ambient music -- Brian Eno's music is perfect for this, but use anything that is slow and stays in the same key. Put the music on and experiment by finding all the notes on the theremin that you believe "go with" the music. Find the tones that sound good to your ear. If you've got someone who can observe and listen, see if they agree with your choices. If you've got the ability to record yourself, do so, then play it back and see what YOU think of your choices. Work slowly and when you find a pitch that works for you, sustain it for a second or two, then move on. NOTE: The focus here is NOT on playing the music along with the CD; it's to search for tones that seem compatible regardless of the rhythm or any structure -- you're just working your hand's ability to hit pitches and your ear's ability to discern them.

On another note, since you're in Kansas City, try to get to the annual convention for The American Music Therapy Association from November 16th through 18th. It's being held at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. Why go? Because you'll be able to meet up with me and Kevin Kissinger if you like. I'll be there for those days representing Moog Music, Inc and demonstrating the theremin. It'd be great to meet you!
Posted: 10/29/2006 11:30:54 AM
kkissinger

[i]Do you hanger near the Connie downtown?
She’s down right now because the engine that was rebuilt last year blew up again and was sent back to California.[/i]

I'm up at Hangar 6B (the south side of the tower).

I have a few friends that are active with "Save A Connie" ... a great bunch of folks!
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:52:58 PM
buddycraigg

schielenkrahe>
[i]On another note, since you're in Kansas City, try to get to the annual convention for The American Music Therapy Association from November 16th through 18th. It's being held at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. Why go? Because you'll be able to meet up with me and Kevin Kissinger if you like. I'll be there for those days representing Moog Music, Inc and demonstrating the theremin. It'd be great to meet you![/i]

i scanned the flyer and the only times i would be able to check things out would be after work which looks like when people would be in the "jam rooms"
i couldn't figure out if just wanting to pop-in to give it a listen would cost anything or not

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.