Theremin Emmulation Software

Posted: 2/20/2007 11:46:58 AM
dna

Hi,
Can someone recomend to me a good Theremin software that actually sounds like a Theremin and also can let me record what I play? I need to produce some media which can feature the Theremin as both an instrument and as a sound effect.
And it would be cool just to mess with it, too.
I know Thereminworld has a page of software but I'm hoping someone could recomend a piece that stands out above the rest without me having to download and try them all out because I'm kinda lazy that way.
I'd love to just have a Theremin, but I just plain can't afford one :(
Thanks,
dna
Posted: 2/20/2007 11:53:25 AM
dna

I suppose it would be helpful to know that I need to use it with Windows :p
Posted: 2/21/2007 8:16:23 PM
TomFarrell

I don't think any of the Theremin "emulator" apps are adequately controllable that you'll be able to play melodic music on them, but if anyone here knows otherwise please correct me.

You don't need to concern yourself with whether or not the app can record its sounds to disk: look for an app for Windows called "Total Recorder". It collects the sound stream on the way to the audio driver and saves it, so it can record sound from any app you like. I haven't used it in a few years, but it used to work very well.
Posted: 2/21/2007 8:25:18 PM
dna

Eh, none of the standalone apps were remotely useful. Some of the VSTs look promising, but I don't have anything to plug them into yet (and might be able to buy a theremin for the cost of the app that would help me out there :p )
Rethinking...
Posted: 2/22/2007 6:08:41 AM
Charlie D

There's this thing called MouSing which I played with before I had a theremin. It has a split-second delay between movement and noise though, so it's much harder to play than an actual theremin in my opinion.
Posted: 2/22/2007 6:46:57 AM
Alexander

How's your voice?

Standing a good distance from a decent vocal mic, going "ooooo" with a slight filter and some reverb can produce a passable Theremin effect... or at least, better than some cheesy piece of software.
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:51:42 AM
dna

Lol. That I could probably come up with.
Has anyone ever used Line 6 PODs to record their theremin before?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.